Sign in to follow this  
vincefmx

Navajo Nation elk hunts unit 13/14 leftover tags

I was checking the NNDFW website and noticed that the Navajo Nation has aroun 50 leftover tags for the any elk hunts in units 13 and 14. has anyone ever hunted these areas? I have frequented unit 16 and there are some good bulls in there but no tags are even offered unless you purchase a unit-wide hunt.

post-4628-0-20625300-1375454609_thumb.gif

I work in the very southern portion of 13 a couple months of every year, south of I-40. There are a lot of good bulls in that area (McNary, Ft. Wingate area) but that is on Depot land or Forest Service Land. Not sure about trophy sized bulls. That small strip south of Gallup might be easy pickings. I have some pics from last Sept but can't figure out how to upload them.

Let me know what you find out. I might be interested in buying a left over as well.

Adam

I was checking the NNDFW website and noticed that the Navajo Nation has aroun 50 leftover tags for the any elk hunts in units 13 and 14. has anyone ever hunted these areas? I have frequented unit 16 and there are some good bulls in there but no tags are even offered unless you purchase a unit-wide hunt.

There was also Archery Deer available too. I didn' see the cost for Non-Navajo tag. Wonder what it is?

Here is a great deer from the same spot last year in Sept. Turns out those weren't my most recent Elk pics (snow) but I did have some of bigger bulls last Sept.

deer_zps9ff81412.jpg

NonNavajo is $400 deer and 600 for elk, at least for the seasons on those leftover tags.

Like Norteno says, there are some bulls and bucks that move through that portion south of Gallup along the Hogback and Ft Wingate area. Ive seen some nice bulls moving around the Zuni and Nav boundary too a little further south. The country around Bread Springs isnt very rugged but pretty thick juniper country. There are good points in the area that would work for glassing lits of country. If you get a tag, take a look at the country north of Mt Taylor in Unit 14.

Thanks for the input guys...didnt expect pictures, those are some decent animals! I am going to attempt to get home in a couple weeks and head up to Gallup to check out that area...and see if it is worth the cash!