Sign in to follow this  
grungeisdead

Unit 24A - Partially disabled...suggestions?

Greetings,

New to posting on the forum after years of lurking, while failing to draw tags. Looks like this year was my lucky year, as I drew the Nov 29 Whitetail tag in 24A.

I have a few issues. First, I've never hunted 24A. Will obviously be scouring the GFD website for starting locations and the like. I've hunted elk and javelina elsewhere, but this unit is new to me. Second, I had ankle surgery this month to repair a tendon. No weight bearing for another 4 weeks or so, then limited activity for awhile after that for physical therapy. This will obviously limit my opportunities for scouting trips until late september or october at best. Thirdly, I suffer from a neurological condition called CMT. This makes the really steep really long hikes very difficult for me. Not to mention the hike back out with quarters strapped to your back.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for this unit given the situations listed above. Not looking for anyone's favorite spot, just a good place to start. Planning on taking my offroad popup and a 4-wheeler, so wondering if a ground blind/calling them in may be a viable option anyplace in this unit. Would be much obliged for any tips, either as a reply or via PM.

Thanks a ton.

David

14R, US Army '98.

I had a tag there last year and this year agian. Most of what I saw was a lot of up and down. I'm pretty banged up myself so I just make sure my footing is secure and go slow.

A ground blind over water might work, but calling in Nov is more than likely a moot point. Try to find a spot to glass from the road and go from there. 24a (and every unit that has coues inhabit) is rough country so that'll limit where you can go. And bring a buddy or a "lucky" nephew to carry your buck out for you ;)