Sign in to follow this  
Stallone A.

Tree Stand or Ground Blind (for new hunter)

Alright, I am interested on what you all have to say about the above topic. I have a friend that wants to come bow hunting with me this Aug for Deer but has never hunted before. We will be hunting up north so finding a spot on a tree will not be a problem. My concern is that he just started shooting and has never hunted. He wants to come for the experience rather than shoot something. I was wondering what I should do. Set him up on a ground blind near a water hole or put him up in a tree stand with a harness and have him sit by a trail?

Thanks for thoughts.

My questions would be, is he afraid of heights and does he mind getting wet if it were to rain? A treestand is the only way to fully enjoy the entire experience IMO. Blinds are for sleeping, or at least that is what I find easiest to do when I'm in one. A dual set up is nice, I've done that in the past so I could jump in the blind with one of my kids if they can come on a certain day.

• Like 2

In my opinion, new hunters tend to move around a lot, they're typically noisy, get bored easy, fall asleep, and are less apt to use adequate scent control techniques. I personally feel that I can stave off all of these negatives more easily inside of a ground blind than I can sitting 25feet up in a tree stranded on a small metal platform. My vote would be ground blind on a well-used trail on the way to the water.

I'm kind of in the same situation. I have a buddy that wants to start bow hunting so we are going to head up north as well. I don't have a tree stand and I'm not inclined to use ground blinds so it should be interesting. He is really going to be the only one hunting because I'd rather hunt once the seasons change. I guess I'm more of a romantic that way when it comes to hunting. Plus I'm not sure I'm even going to get by bow back by then. I have a Hoyt HavocTec and apparently they only used the cam setup for one year and the new string is going to be a special order. That being said, if I had a tree stand I would put my buddy up in it.

I don't think he would be scared of being in a tree stand, however if I put him in a tree stand I am going to have to set it up for him and probably have to walk him to it so he doesn't get lost in the dark and then go to my spot. I would be worried just sending him in the woods by himself. He is Dr, a very smart guy... but It would be he first time and could get turned around real easy...

I agree with you all about sent control and moving... Its always hard to stay still especially on tree stand your first time... However I think putting him in a blind he may get board and be on his cell the whole time... Not the experience I want to give but at least I know he would be safe...

Definitely do not send him out without a GPS. What if he does shoot a deer and goes off to track it and gets turned around? Since he already knows how to shoot I'd spend a couple of days doing spot and stalk so he learns how to hunt.

Anybody can sit in a blind or tree stand but if you want him to hunt as opposed to shoot then get out and spot and stalk. He won't learn much sitting on his duffer.

Just put him in a ground blind and tell him if he leaves the bear will get him. Meanwhile you go hunt. Worked for my dad every time jk

I would suggest ground blind though for a first timer, or even just spot and stalking...depends on if your buddy had issues sitting still for 12 hours at a time.

• Like 1

I figured I would set him up somewhere for the morning and then go get him late afternoon and do some spot and stalk... Or keep him up in a tree for 12 hours and then the next day spot and stalk... Or just tell him your Bear story...

I figured I would set him up somewhere for the morning and then go get him late afternoon and do some spot and stalk... Or keep him up in a tree for 12 hours and then the next day spot and stalk... Or just tell him your Bear story...

JK about the Bear...

Is that bow you have a "Hoyt, do you have a tec?" Don't you know your not supposed to Hoyt em, supposed to kill em.

JK

I say tree stand. That is the ultimate in my opinion. :-)