Sign in to follow this  
AZBUCKEYE

Thompson Encore need Help

I have a Encore with a 300 win stainless flutted barrel cooked up some loads 180 gr behind some H4831 start out shooting decent 3 shoot groups let cool 3 more decent groups. Problem is started burning up some ammo shooting 5 and 6 shoots in a row and as barrel gets hot I am getting my shoots riseing and I mean they are coming up 8 to 10 inchs at 300 yrds??? This is driving me bonkers why. Is there such a thing as floating a forarm stock?? any ideas what could be going on here?

I have worked a lot on encores in order to make them shoot well. There biggest downfall is the forearm attached to the barrel. One thing I did that seemed to help a lot was to get a pin that fits really snug where the barrel attaches to the frame. I use a rubber mallet to get mine back in. Then I took the forearm and used my dremel to remove any part that would be touching the barrel or frame. When firing from a bench, try to keep the pressure right on the end of the frame instead of the barrel. I also lapped all of my barrels. I have a factory blued .243 that shoots Hornady light mag ammo like it was a custom barrel. See if you can mic the inside of the hole on your frame and then find a new stud or have one machined. David

Bellmtcs.com is a great place to start when it comes to TCs.

6-8 shots is a lot I bet you could fry something on your barrel especially in the summer heat. Not to mention your barrel.

Sounds to me like you have the answer to your own question though. It shoots great for 3 shots. Then when you heat it up it starts vertical stringing. So maybe limit yourself to three shots then let it cool. Its a single shot not semi auto.

• Like 2

I have a t/c in 300wm.my shoots great but I don't know how it shoots when after warmed up with 25+ shots.