Sign in to follow this  
AZ8

Neglected 20 guage

Hello.

I've acquired an older Winchester 20 gauge from a non-hunting coworker. It was basically left in a corner of the garage for who knows how long. It needs some serious TLC. Had a heck of time just inserting the choke. The threads were a mess! Crud, gunk and rust! But I got it nice and clean and the choke screws in and out with little effort! :)

Inside the barrel is good, with no pitting. Whew! After some proper cleaning, looks great inside. The outside needs some work. Other than rubbing it down with oil, is there anything that will stop the pitting action?

Hate to see guns neglected like this. However, it's really turning out to be a nice gun!

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm leaving it "as is". Just trying to stop the pitting from progressing further. Guess I'm good with the oil then.

Thanks!

The only way to permanently stop pitting is to remove some of the affected metal and re-blue or re treat with a parkerization or duracoat. I used to use a product called Sheath, by birchwood Casey, now I think they've switched to barricade or something. It works. Just be diligent and store it in a humidity controlled environment.

• Like 1