Sign in to follow this  
MadMax692

Sitting water vs game trail

Guest oneshot

I like game trails, areas that they are moving through, either between bedding and feeding over sitting water. I feel they are already switched on super full alert when on water because they know they are in a danger zone, human activity is high at water, and with a trad bow it's tougher to make my move(draw and shoot).

Setting-up away from water I have a better chance of makeing that move on less alert deer, not that Coues deer are ever that easy, they seem to be the most wary critter I've ever hunted, but thats my way... Then again, I've killed over 300+ deer(75-100 with the recurve, 200+ with a rifle/shogun) so a more difficult weapon, bare bow recurve with no sights, fits my style...

NOTE on Deer killed: All Deer were legally tagged before leaving the woods, Southern NY has alot of Deer, and they issue game management permits to land holders(I think our lease is allowed 180 GMP per year, we dont get them anymore because two doe tags are given to each buck tag(unit 3M) (rifle), in addition to a bow tag and a muzzleloader tag and 5deer per guy is enough to fill freezers/give to needy familys in the area, while still keeping a healthy herd. There are also orchards, towns, privite property that with alittle door-knocking will provide access and GMP...

Coues Deer would number 15-20 of that total, with only one taken over water, the rest set-up in either treestands/ground blinds or from glassing/stillhunting...

Photo is a buddies shed wall with antlers we didnt keep at home (Skippys)...

I second that, I think a lot of the big bucks actually go down wind of water to check for lions usually. I'm not saying you couldn't get a big one on water, people do it. But the wind, stand location, stand entry trail, and weather have to play into your favor. Thats a lot of factors. I think that's why guides use spot and stalk.

Yes I agree with you guys. I tried sitting a seep this Aug hunt.. Way to much water on the ground from all the rain. I had some nice bucks come in but they held back about 100 yards. Never closed the distance. I think I may have to prepare a new plan for the rut hunt and blind/ tree stand the trails and saddles