Sign in to follow this  
CGHUNTER10

Any Tips for 4A Late Season Rifle Elk Hunt

Ive got a rifle elk hunt up in 4A on Nov 29th. I camp up on the rim every summer but have never hunted the unit or been up there that late in the season. I know it all depends on the snow - wondering if anyone has hunted that unit during the late season.

Appreciate any advice!

That is a great hunt. Have to be patient but it will be worth it. With all the rain right now, there are elk everywhere and the grass is 2 feet tall so feed is also all over the place. Dont worry about road hunters or how many people have the tag. The elk will be in there. Watch the snow--a bunch of elk push off the higher elevations when it starts falling.

Guest akaspecials

Hard hard hunt from my experiences. The bulls are in the unit though. They've managed it great the last five or six years. It's almost impossible to glass that unit. I'd be still hunting away from people. Make sure to scout the weekend or 2 prior to the hunt. The bulls will be in different places than they are in the summer and fall.

Yeah, its a high pressure area for sure - Definitely not a lot of room to glass. It'll be challenging for sure, but wouldn't be that much fun if it was easy.

Thanks for the tips!