Sign in to follow this  
AndrewJ

What knife to get?

The Havalons are awesome - I never go hunting without one. I like the Prianta Tracer 22 with the 22XT carbon blades. But, I always carry at least a couple knives. Another I never leave home without, and has field dressed more animals than I can count, is a Browning Kodiak F.D.T. Great blade, bone saw and gut hook in a fold-up. Easy to sharpen to shaving sharp and can do it all.

And if you're nostalgiac, like me, the old-school Buck 119 special is a great knife - especially on bigger animals like elk where a big, strong, sharp knife can be a HUGE asset. You could definately do it all with one knife, but hey, grandpa always said use the right tool for the job. May as well have all your bases covered.

I recently joined RMEF and they sent me their knife set. It took me several hours to sharpen them to the angle I want in a knife. I got to use them on opening day on my buddies buck. The gut hook worked like a charm and the smaller knife to finish the gutting job. They did a great job. I know I have more knifes than I need. I have two Buck 110s. another Buck straight blade, the RMEF set, my old K-bar hunter, and the first knife my dad gave me for Christmas when I was 11 (good luck charm).