Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

Unit 7 Muleys

Well only 2 days left until I head up the hill. Loads have been developed and tested, guns have been cleaned and camo has been washed and is scent free. Just need to clean the Kaibab HD, Minox 15x58 ED and Razor HD 65 and I'll be ready!

Headed out Thursday afternoon and did some last minute scouting Thursday night before the Friday opener. Glassed up 10 bucks running together. One was a very nice 4x4, 2 good 3x3s and a bunch of little forks. Watched them until they bedded just after dark. Spent the rest of the weekend looking for them, but no luck whatsoever. Only saw 2 doe and 2 fawn the rest of the weekend. The area we were hunting wasn't being pressured too badly, and we didn't see many hunters at all (we stayed away from the peaks, clearly). We hiked miles upon miles and glassed from every little hill and mountain we could.

I'm heading back up this coming weekend in hopes to seal the deal. It was very frustrating not being able to find them again. I only wish I knew where these dang animals were going during the day. Hopefully this coming weekend will bring me better luck. All and all had a great time with great friends.

post-5901-0-14129800-1383584558_thumb.jpg

post-5901-0-92441300-1383584564_thumb.jpg

keep after it!

good luck!

James

So I headed back up by myself Saturday and hunted the remainder of the hunt trying to get something tagged. I got up there at 6am Saturday, just as the sun was rising. I got into the area I was planning on hunting, but it was a bit thicker on the hill than I expected. I glassed the surrounding area as best I could, but nothing. I decided to turn and glass a mountain that was about 1.3 miles away. I immediately glassed up a big white rump glaring in the morning sun. I watched for a minute and as the deer lifted his head from feeding, I got PUMPED! Massive 4x4 (which I figured he was massive since I could clearly make out his antlers at 1.3 miles). Then all of a sudden they started coming out of the woodwork and 6 more bucks showed themselves feeding across the open mountain.

Since I was by myself, I was trying to figure out the best plan of action to take to have a chance at one of these deer. My first thought was to sit and watch them feed across the mountain, and hopefully get them bedded. Once bedded I could make my move and sneak in on them. As I watched over the next 5 minutes, it became clear that they were making their way back down toward the tree line. I quickly changed my plan and decided I had to move now. I quickly hiked off the mountain and back to the car (which was a 3/4 mile hike). I drove to an area that would give me the best chance to cut off the deer, and I hiked in. Hiking as quietly as possible I hiked up the mountain. As I approached the top of the tree line, I realized I went in 1 finger too far back. So I had to quickly hike back down the cut and back up the first finger of the mountain. By the time I got there I couldn't find the deer and I was pretty sure I blew my chance at cutting them off. I found some fresh droppings and track, but no deer. I was now chasing them instead of cutting them off. Frustrated I decided to follow the track and sign into the forest to hopefully find them, but had no luck. I searched the rest of the day with no luck. Sunday rolled around and nothing.

I am glad I got some excitement and had the chance. I had a great time hunting, but fell just short. At least I can honestly say it wasn't for lack of effort. I learned a lot more about an area of this unit that faces little hunting pressure, and clearly holds deer. Maybe I'll have to try again another time. There's always next year.

After this hunt I caught myself thinking... "Man I miss 36B"!

I've attached a couple photos of the deer through my binos, which doesn't do much. You can't really see much detail from the photos but at least you can see they're there. Also, The bucks started sparring on the hill and I just happened to catch it on video. Here's a video of that that I posted on youtube.

post-5901-0-17705600-1384199486_thumb.jpg

post-5901-0-85691600-1384199494_thumb.jpg

Did you find those bucks were I told you to look ?

They were just a couple miles south of that.