resolute

Caribou on North Slope of Alaska

Getting ready to put deposit on a DIY caribou hunt on north slope of Brooks Range. Will be about 5 of us. They drop us off with wall tents, food for a week, and two tags. Has anyone hunted for caribou up in that area?

I have never done it, but that sounds like the exact type of hunt I would like to do. Who did you book thru and, if you do not mind, how much are you paying?

read up on the porcupine herd and there travel routes when the herd is moving seams like everyone in Alaska shows up to get their share the herd was 500,000 strong when I lived up there 3yrs ago

This is a resident herd of 40k apparently...due to the fact they only allow 12 hunters per year, it is out a couple of years, we are hoping for 2015. It is actually through Cabela's as I have a friend who is a Cabela's certified outfitter as well. It is 4k for the week. (123456) If you are interested, I'll keep u in the loop as my buddy can get group discounts through Cabela's. We have been wavering between this and a moose hunt but think DIY will be a lot more fun and rewarding and have a few ready to pull the trigger. FYI we will all be bowhunting....