Sign in to follow this  
Adicted

Can anyone lend a hand mounting a scope the proper way???

I bought a 300 win mag, Remington 700 5R and I have a 1 piece mount, Warne Rings, Vortex Viper 6-20x50. I put everything together but after doing research on long range hunting forums, I would like someone to put this together better. Such as perfectly leveling the scope (cross hairs) I dont have a few levels laying around, and setting the screws properly. If you can help me out please let me know. This rifle is gonna be used for long range shooting.

Thx

Semper FI

I'd use the Wheeler kit for leveling and the Wheeler torque FAT wrench for all of the screws.. They do come packaged in a scope mounting kit and are all you'll ever need. It's really a solid investment for the long-term.

• Like 1

I use the wheeler kit as well.

However, you can buy one small cheap level from the hardware store and do this.

Step one draw a VERY straight level line on a piece of cardboard. Hang it so the line is level horizontally.

Now take you rifle and set it up aimed at the target and use the level on the receiver or top of rings if they are flat and make sure your rifle is level. This is horizontal, right to left level. Now match the reticle to the line on he paper. Torque the screws half way alternating screw until they are all snug then alternate again until they are tight. Not beast mode it will never move kind of tight just tight enough that you put a small amount of force on them.

Now you have a level scope...

If you want to check the torque go to an auto store and ask to borrow a torque wrench. Do a search for your rings and correct foot pounds. For the base you can use lock tite but make sure you buy the lightest hold one, certainly not the permanent type. I would give colors but there are multiple brands so read the bottle.

Adicted,

I can help you get that scope set up properly. I have all the tools for leveling, lapping and bore sighting. If your willing to bring it to East Mesa send me a PM. If you'd like references on my work those can be provided as well.

Speedy,

• Like 2