Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

My first scouting trip......

ALONE! Yes I did it. I went for 4 days by myself trying to get a better game plan for my hunt that's coming up. I will say the 4 days was one of the most relaxing vacations I've ever had :rolleyes:. Going alone was something I've thought about for a long time and the opportunity presented itself so off I went.

I've spent 2 other day trips and now these 4 days total scouting. Not as much as I'd like, but enough I feel to start patterning a couple areas pretty well. The good news is I've seen a ton of deer (all Coues). It's been about a 60/40 male to female ratio. All the males but one were young deer and not shooters for me. The bigger one I didn't get a good enough look at before I lost him in the trees, but I saw enough to know he was a good deer. Anyhow, I have two good plans at this point, but still have 2 areas I would like to check out that a local rancher I met this weekend gave me info on.

Originally I was going to bring my bow and rifle. Due to time constraints, I'm limiting it to rifle only. I couldn't practice enough with both so I decided on the rifle since I've been on a zillion deer hunts now and still have yet to close the deal on what I want. I've been shooting my 270 and it feels good.

A couple questions for more experienced WT hunters....

My limit is 300 yards for a rifle and less if it's windy up there like it was this weekend (it was nasty). One spot I have picked out to sit is a 250 yard shot. I'm way more used to setting up under 40 yards so now I've been given almost a football field longer so I feel like I've won the lottery. My question is can my scent travel 250 yards? I'm at the vertical and horizontal midpoint of a small canyon/finger sitting in/on a rock outcropping. The area I'm watching is the hillside opposite me and also the trails around the edge of the big canyon (both areas are 250-300 yards from my location). The wind typically seems to do whatever it wants in this area.

My next question...I'm assuming since there are so many deer in this area that there has to be bigger bucks. Is this a valid assumption? I'm still surprised at the amount of young bucks (forks, spikes) I've seen. Typically we have cameras out and know what's in an area, but this time I only have what we've seen with our eyes.

Thanks!

• Like 2

mature bucks don't move much at all until the rut gets going. or. there are hunters in the field pushing/bumping and shooting at them. if you have a good overlook and well travelled routes you will get an opportunity or three. and stick with it. don't go back to camp at 9:00am.

luck,

lee

I would say that with the right wind a deer can wind you out past 350 (if you really stink). This time of year the good bucks don't really care about the does, they either are still in bachelor groups or are flying solo. You will always find the small bucks hanging around momma. GOOD luck on your hunt!!

Just have to say... Woohoo! Good for you!!!!! :)

Isn't it soooo relaxing going by yourself! This has been the first season I've gone scouting alone and camped a couple nights alone too. Prior I was freaking myself out a little thinking it wouldn't be safe and thinking I couldn't do it but I could and did and have been on a role sense!

Good luck on your hunt!

• Like 2

I would say a deer can easily get your scent at 250 yards. I know I can smell someone smoking a cigarette at 100 yards and deer have a much better sniffer than I do.