longbowpilot

Mule Deer and Golf Courses

Ok...so completely not meaning to be controversial or disrespectful to anyone, because I realize there are many different types of hunters and hunting styles. So...I guess I would ask what the goal is? To hunt or just kill a big buck....? I love to hunt and of course I too want a big buck. But a big part of why I love to hunt, and why I love to take my son hunting, is going out and putting the work in to earn what we accomplish....and accomplishments don't always come in the form of a buck. Hiking through the canyons, glassing for hours, planning the stalk, spending that quality time outdoors, being totally exhausted after being skunked, and sometimes eating the ever so tasty tag soup. To me...that's hunting. So I avoid hunting in areas around neighborhoods and golf courses because for me, I choose not to be a part of any potential negative connotation to hunting and I'm trying to teach my son to be the same type of hunter. I have seen some good bucks near golf courses in southern Arizona, and have also heard of several incidents where wounded deer have wondered onto the course or in the surrounding neighborhoods. I have witnessed many unethical hunters....the kind that have no hesitation or common respect as they hunt literally in peoples back yards violating who knows how many hunting laws. In my opinion, these incidents, and these unethical hunters is why the majority of us hunters continue to lose access to good hunting grounds, and struggle to maintain our positive image as hunters to those who don't hunt. I also know there are great hunters who are respectful and ethical who hunt near such locations while maintaining appropriate distances and taking only ethical shots. But even the best hunters, and the best shots sometimes don't have the desired outcome and our games wanders farther than we would like. I'm sure that's not the response you were looking for, and I certainly mean no disrespect to any hunter who does so in an ethical fashion. Just thought I would post my thoughts. Happy hunting!

ill hunt anywhere its legal that gives me the best opportunity for success. youre making it sound like it wouldnt really be hunting or something, whats more challenging/ethical making a stalk on a buck that lives near a neighborhood or hunting over food plots and timed feeders like they do back east? but if you think hunting where there's less deer or your chance of success is worse makes you more of a hunter, to each their own.

I used to work at a golf course at the base of mountains and there were mule deer all over the courses as well as bobcats and many other animals, in my opinion they come for both the water and because they feel protected. I wasn't able to get a video or a picture but there was a spike swimming in one of the lakes one summer.

tumblr_lopbn8iJUM1qkx0x3o1_250.gif

• Like 1

I agree a little with what every one has said. I do feel that hunting game that has become less sensitive to people and has lost their fear of them is not far chase. On the other hand if you can use the golf course to your advantage knowing that the game will use it for food or water and then hunt trails that are legal to hunt, then what's the diffrence from people sitting on water in the August hunts? There is a line that can be crossed by hunting to close to houses, people exc. but if you do it the legal and ethical way than I don't think you are less of a hunter than any one else who uses water, salt or even binos.

• Like 4

Ok...so completely not meaning to be controversial or disrespectful to anyone, because I realize there are many different types of hunters and hunting styles. So...I guess I would ask what the goal is? To hunt or just kill a big buck....? I love to hunt and of course I too want a big buck. But a big part of why I love to hunt, and why I love to take my son hunting, is going out and putting the work in to earn what we accomplish....and accomplishments don't always come in the form of a buck. Hiking through the canyons, glassing for hours, planning the stalk, spending that quality time outdoors, being totally exhausted after being skunked, and sometimes eating the ever so tasty tag soup. To me...that's hunting. So I avoid hunting in areas around neighborhoods and golf courses because for me, I choose not to be a part of any potential negative connotation to hunting and I'm trying to teach my son to be the same type of hunter. I have seen some good bucks near golf courses in southern Arizona, and have also heard of several incidents where wounded deer have wondered onto the course or in the surrounding neighborhoods. I have witnessed many unethical hunters....the kind that have no hesitation or common respect as they hunt literally in peoples back yards violating who knows how many hunting laws. In my opinion, these incidents, and these unethical hunters is why the majority of us hunters continue to lose access to good hunting grounds, and struggle to maintain our positive image as hunters to those who don't hunt. I also know there are great hunters who are respectful and ethical who hunt near such locations while maintaining appropriate distances and taking only ethical shots. But even the best hunters, and the best shots sometimes don't have the desired outcome and our games wanders farther than we would like. I'm sure that's not the response you were looking for, and I certainly mean no disrespect to any hunter who does so in an ethical fashion. Just thought I would post my thoughts. Happy hunting!

ill hunt anywhere its legal that gives me the best opportunity for success. youre making it sound like it wouldnt really be hunting or something, whats more challenging/ethical making a stalk on a buck that lives near a neighborhood or hunting over food plots and timed feeders like they do back east? but if you think hunting where there's less deer or your chance of success is worse makes you more of a hunter, to each their own.

If people are hunting legally and making every effort to make good ethical shots, and being respectful to the area....I have absolutely no problem. I don't think that hunting in these environments make anyone more or less than a hunter at all...all I said was that I prefer, for myself and my family, to spend time outdoors away from populated areas. What I do have a huge problem with are those hunters that could care less where they hit an animal, and are simply content with wounding it repeatedly until it finally dies, or thinking that the laws don't apply to them. This is unacceptable any way you look at it. This type of behavior affects all hunters negatively and is why we as hunters continue to lose access to areas or have new regulations imposed. I have witnessed many hunters who have purposefully trespassed or hunted in areas closed to hunting in search of a big buck. These people are not hunters....they are poachers and I will continue to report these types of hunters to protect my rights as a hunter.

Well, I have seen the effects of letting deer and other game animals get entirely too comfortable in neighborhoods or around population centers. Many-a-tax dollar has been spent on live trapping/relocation and even edible "contraceptive" options to help control a population... Only to see a "bait-and-shoot" program implemented by the local Police and NYSDEC which really gets PETA's pants in a wad. All the while they could have just quietly issued nuisance permits to qualified archers and let the problem take care of itself. I'll hunt wherever the deer are and wherever I can hunt legally. Yes, I will feel just as accomplished as if I was six miles back into a wilderness area. It comes from an extreme case of self-awareness and not caring what others think. While it may not be everyone's fancy to hunt near population centers- it's a necessity and I'm glad that there are those of us willing to partake.

• Like 1