Sign in to follow this  
AZ_SAWBUCK

Field to the Freezer

I have a two part question here. What system or method do you use to care for your meat while in camp and prior to processing? Has anyone ever used a vacuum sealer to package meat? Also how long did it keep in the freezer?

This year I took a buck on opening morning of the first rifle season. Cleaned him up using the gutless method and lost no meat. He hung in a tree for two days before I could get the meat to a cooler (We were packed in and the meat never got warm). Packed out and washed any little bit of hair off the meat and kept dry and cold on a ice chest for four more days before cutting up. Cut steaks and cubed up the hinds for roast or stew meat, the rest went to the processor to get ground. Have had some steaks so far and they were awesome. thx.

always use vaccum , ive eaten meat 2 yrs old still fresh no freezer burn, tip season before sealing very tasty

I have butchered on my tailgate and taken everything home wrapped in paper, put the steaks and roasts in the freezer and break out the grinder.

Now I have a seal-a-meal and age the meat in an old fridge on the back porch, is nice but not sure I didn't like butchering in the field better, just fling stuff over your shoulder and feed the crows and coyotes