Sign in to follow this  
Nobody

Bobcat seal Question Answered by AZGFD

I was uncertain about the bobcat seal as a varmint caller as some of you may have been to. This is the response I got from AZGFD when I asked about the diference in trapping and calling bobcats. Hope it helps some of you clear it up to.

I apologize for the delay in responding to you. All bobcat pelts whether taken through trapping or hunting that are sold must have a Bobcat Seal attached. However, the submission of a lower is only required from bobcats taken through trapping. We will accept jaws taken through hunting but it is not required. Also all trapped bobcats must have attached a bobcat seal within 10 days of the end if the season, this is not the case for hunted bobcats.

I don't know about the rest of you but I had some confusion on the new bobcat seal that AZGFD requires. My question was to AZGFD if a varmit caller kills and sells hides is he still held under the same guidlines as a trapper.

Yeah it is what it is. Not a bad thing but just a pain in the butt!!

Not a seal. It's called a CITES tag.

Here is the order of events.

1. You trap a bobcat and dispatch it.

2. You carry it to your truck and you attach a 2-part transportation tag to carcass.

3. You get home and you skin the bobcat and the transportation tag stays attached to the skin (ziptie it through an eye hole).

4. Flesh and stretch bobcat pelt.

4. You take out the bobcat's lower jaw and cut away any excess meat and attach the 2nd part of the transportation tag to it (ziptie it on tight) Toss jaw in a tub of borax to dry it out and keeping it from stinking.

5. Rest of the carcass gets thrown away.

6. At trapping season's end you match up the jaw with the dried pelt. Ziptie jaw and its tag to the pelt and it's tag and take down to AZ G&F office.

6. They will collect transportation tag from the pelt and the jaw and its tag.

7. Pay $3 per CITES tag and the agent will attach it through the eye hole of the skinned pelt.

I do the same thing for the bobcat's I call in and shoot.

You can now sell your bobcat pelt at the ATA trappers sale 1st weekend in April or the Briarpatch Sale in Kingman in mid-March.

Hypewrx has it right. If you sell your bobcat pelt you need the $3 CITES tag no matter what.

Here is a pic of the free tags required to get the CITES tag. You can pick them up at any G&F

The larger portion goes on the cat, and the smaller portion goes on the lower jaw (if it is a trapped cat)

post-3620-0-12736400-1384303717_thumb.jpg