markgann

Son's first elk

My son Gillum got his first bull today. We have hunted hard and seen a lot of cows. This morn we got up at 4:30 and made it to our glassing spot by 6:30. We had a 4x4 at 200 yards. Right away. Gillum. Took a shot. Which I thought. Was good. With his 243. And the bull. Walked. Off. So we went. Down and all I found was one drop of blood. We searched for 5 hrs but could not find any more blood or the bull so we worked back up to the glassing point where I found another bull so off we went. We walked in where I last saw the bull and bang the bull busted out of the brush running so I start cow calling but lost site of him. I go back to the quad to get a bite to eat and Gillum tells me he's going up on a little nob to look around 15 min later I hear 2 shot and think what is he shooting at then he yells for me and I rush over to my surprise the bull circled back and Gillum shot him at 60 yards. I could not be more proud of him his grades were low and he got them up before the hunt started and he worked just as hard every day as I did. What a day. Got to thank my wife for putting up with us and john for all the times he's helped us out

post-4385-0-87309000-1386038582_thumb.jpg

• Like 2