Sign in to follow this  
arizonaelkhunter

Trashing the Forest

I seen the same thing in both the WhiteTanks and the Vultures. Just when you think you found a great spot to camp, glass, or hunt I look down there is a beer bottle or 2. I don't get it. Why can't people clean up their mess. I moved to AZ 5 years ago to experience and hunt in the west. There seems to be a lot of hunters out here that just don't care and take for granted what we have here

It definitely is not illegals dumping the garbage where I hunt

Thank you for letting me vent

The problem is, everything is free unfortunately. If you ever went up redington pass, everyone and their brother on the east side would target practice up there for free, and they TRASHED a few areas. I ran into NFS up there one year while they were surveying the problem. I stopped and said, "Whattaya guys gonna do bout this garbage?" They said, "whattaya we suppose to do?" Then I suggested 1. Hand everyone that shoots there a garbage bag, it needs to be filled before that person leaves. They said they don't have the man power for that. I said do it every wknd. for just one month, then you'd be done for a bit. Either they would have the area clean, or they'd go somewhere else cause they didn't wanna work. 2. Charge a fee to go up the mountain. As much as I absolutely dread this thought, it worked well for Mount Lemmon. 3. No more target shooting. And as much as I dread this thought, that's exactly what they did.

I do like you and have been doing it since my kids were little. We go to Saguaro and there is a beach we typically go to. We always have a black trash bag and fill it up. I'll stop and grab cans people throw out their windows. Our camp sites are always cleaner when we leave then when we got there. I'm not fond of picking up after lazy slobs, but I try to dome some here and there so nature looks more like it was intended to.