muley

257 Weatherby Magnum

I just purchased a new 257 Weatherby Mag ultra light mark v. I'm curious who else owns this rifle and reloads, and what loads they found to be the best. I'm thinking the new Nosler AccuBonds 110gr. I shot some 117gr factory loads and they drove tacks, even with the wind yesterday. Any info appreciated.

I use the factory loaded 115 ballistic tips. If I was to reload, I think I would look into Hornady's sst ammo......Let me know what happens with the accubonds if you use them..........thanks.........Allen........

Allen,

Thxs for the reply, I was wondering if anyone out there shot this rifle?

Soon as I shoot up these 117 gr. and get some reloading down, Ill let you know.

Guest Ernesto C

Have you guys ever had a "dream buck" well .....this is my "dream caliber or rifle" I hope one day I get to own one.

I have a friend that told me that the 270 WSM is better............so will see, I'll need to have around 500 bucks extra to spend some day. :)

i dont have the 257 weatherby i have 257 stw custom and i shoot the 110 accubonds and it is deadly it shoots a little faster we continue to kill coues and muledeer 4 to 5 hundred yrds consinstently the weatherby is a good choice my stw is shooting 13 or 14 inches at 500yrds you dont have to take the scope of the animal at that distance no aiming high . we found with the 110 accubonds most accurate with reloader 25 .

Ernesto, the .257 weatherby in the Mark V is not super expensive. I bought mine from walmart 6 years ago or so and only paid somewhere around 700.00 for it..........I would love to have the superbig game master but if you want to lug around the extra weight like I do, you can get into this gun for not alot more than other guns cost............Allen.......

Guest Ernesto C

Allen,last year I saw it at walmar at it was 550 dlls, I felt really tempted to buy it. I know ammo is expensive too, I think around 40 dlls per box. I'm a little broke now but like I said one day........I'll love to have one.

Ernesto C

P.S. My birthday is coming up so you guys know now what present to give me now :)

Allen,last year I saw it at walmar at it was 550 dlls, I felt really tempted to buy it. I know ammo is expensive too, I think around 40 dlls per box. I'm a little broke now but like I said one day........I'll love to have one.

Ernesto C

P.S. My birthday is coming up so you guys know now what present to give me now :)

What Ernesto? A box of 257 shells?

According to my reloading books, there is a 139 grain bullet with really good ballistics. It recommends that as the way to go for reloading. Factory you'll have to stick to 120 grain tops. Go out and get yourself a good reloading book or surf the net and you'll probablly some more specifics.

As for the guns, are you guys sure you're talking about the price of a Mark V? That's a pricey gun! Weatherby does have a bottom line gun called a Vanguard that ranges from $400-$850.

Grim, when I bought my MarkV from walmart, I dont think weatherby even made a vanguard in the .257 caliber. But yes, I am talking the Mark V from walmart is actually quite reasonable with the black sythentic stock. I paid somewhere around 700.00 for it about 5 years ago. Walmart doesnt stock it, but if the person behind the counter pulls out the special order book, you can order one..............Allen.....

Thanks guys,

Minus MuleyBull, I've shot the 117 and 115 gr. and they both shoot the same spot, and very tight groups so far out to 200 yds. Both at two inches high. I could just imagine the 110 accubonds, that is what I was looking at. I will check out the website. The rifle I purchased is the Mark V ultralight, with the fluted barrel from Sportsmans, and I love it............................ Ernesto, I hope you can one day purchase one. Good luck. The boxs of shells was a good idea.