Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

7MM Rem. Mag Pet Loads?

Ok, Now I need to find some CCI LR primers.....I have some Win and Fed that I guess I will try if I can't find the CCIs . Also have 500 CCI magnum that I would trade for some.....

Start with the Feds. I actually loaded 20 rounds with the fed 210M's before I got more cci's. I didn't see any real difference.

rcd, I loaded some of the Ramshot Magnum using 69.5,70.0 and 70.5. I had to back the 168 AB LR's off the lands about .10 to get them to fit in my magazine box. That might have had an affect on the accuracy because it wasn't good at all. I only got 2910 fps with the 70.5 load through my 26" barrel also. I used the same loads using 168 gr Berger Classic hunters and got basically the same results. I used Fed Gold Medal 210 primers.

What rifle and length of barrel are you shooting?

okay got my load book out. Same barrel as yours and and the funny thing was I lost velocity at max OAL, probably a pressure issue with the bullet touching the lands. I initially shot some test rounds with lower powder charges 0.10 off the lands and had +1.5" group from my notes.

Max OAL using a Stoney Point gauge for me was 3.83 (at lands) and I ended up at 3.815 for the sweet spot. The 2910 you came up with is very close, could be distance to chrony, or change in temp. Throughout all my testing notes I had rounds as low as 2,793 (touching) and as high as 2969. At your chrony measuring 2,910 is probably not too far off from where I was with mine at about 12 feet away. When you make the adjustment at the muzzle you are probably in the 2,920 to 2,925 range for you ballistics calculations. Between that a different chrony, atmosphere, different gun etc being off 20-25 fps is a pretty small amount.

Rifle: Stiller Predator 7mm RM

Brux Barrel 26"

/>

I am going to start working on a 7MM Rem Mag load to act as my backup rifle for elk/deer/everything. These loads will be running through a Browning BAR so I don't know if I can max load it. I am thinking about running in the 140-160gr area and will be using IMR4831 since I am about to pick up an 8lb tub of it.

I like Nosler BT's & Partitions, but also like Speer BT's and Hornady products. This is going to be a load I want to be able to hit at 500 yrds with, and ballistics should be similar to my 257 Weatherby which is my primary rifle so it should be totally doable.

Does anyone have any pet loads or advice on what they have had success with in 7mm Mag?

Thanks

2 pet loads for several different 7 mags over the years.

62.0 grains IMR 4831 160 grain Sierra Game King on Nosler

WW brass

Cci 250 magnum primer

1/2" Groups for 20 years out of a Remington 700 bone stock.

62.5 grains reloader 22 behind 168 grain Nosler long range accubond.

WW brass WLMR primer

.212 3 shot groups at 100 yards

Remington 783 bone stock rifle with 56 rounds down the tube.

See attached photo.post-12185-0-45798300-1392221365_thumb.jpg