How long do you play a call before changing it? If I change the call to often will i scare whatever I'm calling??and whats the average time you stay at your stand? I'm new to predator hunting so i apologize if these are stupid questions..

Thanks

Larry

There are no stupid questions when you are trying to learn.Bobcats,lions,bears take longer to come in-up to 45 minutes,1 hour.Coyotes,foxes can take seconds,depending on how far out they are when you start.I usually call for 20-25 min.for coyotes,and 45 for bobcats,1hour for lions.Alot depends on your gut feeling about the stand.Hope this helps

I am just starting myself. There are a lot of forums dedicted to calling, you might give some of them a try. I have learned a lot just from reading.

thanks for the replies. Ive been staying on stand for about an hour and ive been lucky enough to kill a bobcat on my first stand with my foxpro but since then no luck.. I'll get the yotes yipping and that's about it.but I've noticed that i change the sound a lot i play a sound for like 5 minutes then i change the sound. not sure if i should let it play or move on to another sound. How long do you guys let your play?

I've tried other forum but must of the replies i get are from other states and im sure the animals act different in VA than they do in AZ. and on here i get input from people that hunt a lot of the same grounds i do.

I play my sound for about 10-15min then sit in silence for about 5 min or so and switch sounds.

I call a little longer later in the season maybe 30 min.

If I'm calling coyotes then I will almost always switch to pup distress or canine distress, the females can't stand it and have to come have a look.

if you're callin in thicker stuff like brushy bottoms or rocky areas where there tends to be more fox or cats I like bird calls and sqeaky type calls and I let it go for 15 - 20 min. then sit in silence and switch to a different sound... lookin for something to trigger their instincts. for me fox show up quick and cats will hang up and watch to see if they can see what is really going. you can get there attention with a simple turkey feather on an old arrow or dowel rod and tie it on with fishing line, I use a swivel so it spins in the breeze.

try not to switch sounds too much they will wise up quick. If they get to yippin and won't come turn off your caller for a couple min and the try pup distress.

some of those barks and howls they do when they figure you out.. you'll have to learn the different types of barks and howls they do.

It's mating season now so they will be reactive to coyote vocalizations. female whimpers female howls and even challenge howls.

everyone has their own methods and you too will learn what works and what doesn't, alot of trial and error.

it's a lot like fishing... figuring out what the bite is for that day and certain lures work better than others at certain times.

hope this helps.

James

Thanks that helps a lot .. I think I've been changing the call to much and not giving the animals enough time to respond. i just need to hear whats working for other hunters in Arizona. on other forum i've been on they've told me they change the sound about every 3 minutes.. and that's what i've been doing but this advice came from people in VA the mainly hunt red fox . and i'm sure its different than yotes in AZ.