Sign in to follow this  
outhunting

Unit 3c or 23

Planning on my first elk hunt in AZ. I can't decide if I should put in for 3c or unit 23. Pros and Cons to both? I can scout each regularly. I am planning on putting in for Bull for my first few picks and Cow for my last few. Wouldn't mind a large bull, but am more concerned with getting something in the freezer. What is your experience in these units or any other?

Had a relative go on the late archery in 23 and he loved it saw lots of elk and ended up killing a spike. As for 3c I have fished in there a lot and i seen a ton of sign. I personally Never hunted either but if I had enough points to draw, I would go with the 3c tag.

• Like 1

I would go with 3c. Not very many elk in 23.

• Like 5

I prefer the earlier hunt (I think with every other hunter is AZ), but would be willing to do a late hunt as well. I have years of just putting in for bonus points. When do the Elk stop bugling in AZ?

How many points do you have? If you're way up there DO NOT put in for a late hunt. You're practically guaranteed a early rifle bull tag if you have max points. They stop bugling long before the late hunt. The latest would be middle of October to late October.

Muledeer33 the 3c early hunt definitely has potential for a monster bull. They killed a 400 inch bull there this year and a couple 370 bulls. 23 had a lot of huge bulls killed last year so it may be down in quality this year especially with no moisture. And 27 had didn't have a whole lot of big ones killed. Although my friend killed the almost new world record typical out of there last year. Scored 428 gross 410 net. If you're going for rifle I'd shoot for 23n and 23s or maybe even 9 or 10 if you're feeling like going up there. I know nothing about those units though.

I know 27 fairly well and know a little of 23. I'm gonna stay away from 9 and 10 since I've never stepped foot in either. 3b may be another choice. I'm still tryin to figure out my units. And looking forward to the disappointment of the "not drawn" screen! Haha.

Yeah I'm the same way with 9 and 10. Never even been up there so I stay away from them. But you never know what's gonna happen, I drew the 23n tag last year with 7 points! So anything can happen. Especially if you're close to max points. I don't know if I'd go for 3b. 23 is gonna be your best bet. If you draw that tag let me know and I can help you get to know that unit a little better since I hunted in there last year. Or 3c since I live literally in the middle of it by legacy lodge.