Guest akaspecials

Suggestions for Rem 700 30-06?

I would start with good glass and good base/rings. If your scope isn't rock solid nothing else matters. Just like everything else that has been said bed and float for sure and find a load that will shoot good out of your gun after that. I bought a barrel from Bryce Canyon who has already chimed in on this and have been building this rifle for over a year and about 2500 to 3 grand deep but that's because I am setting it up exactly how I want it. You can get your 30-06 shooting good without spending to much. If it was me I would start with scope, rings, and base though.

If you decide to spend money on rings there is no need to lap. This is debatable of course but matched rings will be true, some people will still lap for insurance and piece of mind. Good luck with your project!

I meant to include pics of my rig in my original post. With my 700 ADL, it went from right around one-inch groups with the factory stock (bedded/floated), Leupold Dual Dovetail bases/rings and a Simmons Aetec Scope with factory trigger set to 2.75lbs to a factory synthetic stock with a Zeiss Conquest and handloads producing .48" 100-yard groups (.81" at 200 yds). I have always loved the Leupold Dual Dovetail bases/rings and have never had a problem with them. A few years ago, I put a McMillan stock on it because I've always wanted one. It didn't really improve the accuracy, but it looks cool! Back then, I chose between the scope or a Timney trigger. Obviously went with the scope and figured the factory trigger at 2.75 lbs was good enough (and it obviously has been). I may or may not go with a Timney or Jewell down the road to drop it down to 2 lbs (or less), but then I'll end up having to do that with all three of my hunting rifles and that will get expensive!

Factory Synthetic Stock:

post-4869-0-47955900-1393436060_thumb.jpg

With McMillan Stock:

post-4869-0-51423900-1393436102_thumb.jpg

I have the same rings and bases on my 700 ADl and have had not problems with them in the 20 years they have been on the rifle. This past year I removed the VX11 that has been on there on put on a Conquest.

I love the rifle but it is not light. LOL