Sign in to follow this  
Win264

New to Cousewhitetail

Hello my name is Mike and I'm new to the forum, and wanted to introduce myself, I have hunted, fished and practiced shooting off and on most of my life but not as much as I would have liked. I have recently taken up archery and I really enjoy it, and I harvested my first Mule deer in New Mexico this year.

I got interested in this forum some time ago while I was doing some info gathering on Couse deer hunting and indian Reservation hunting. I have found that there is a lot of very experienced and dedicated hunters on this forum.

I had noticed in previous years that tags sold on the SC Rez 1st come 1st serve, and that it was changed to a draw this year so I put in, as I do for many of the other state draws, normally just getting a preference point, we'll this year I was successful.....for the first time on the 1st Malay Gap elk hunt.

I am hoping to find out about the possibility of doing this as a DIY hunt, also if I decide to go with a guide if there are any that you would recommend, I don't know a lot about the hunt or the area but I plan to make a trip or 2 out to do some scouting, if any of you have done this hunt or know someone who has and wanted to let me know what quality animal I could expect to see, places that allow camping, problems a May encounter, or any other useful information I would appreciate it.

Mike

Welcome to the site, Mike. Wish I had some info on the rez hunt, but I don't. I might suggest changing changing the title of this thread to reflect it being about hunting there, as there are several members here who hunt it regularly or are tribal members themselves. Best of luck on your hunt.

Thanks for the welcome and advise........and spell check, LOL!

Welcome to the site Mike. Good luck with your elk hunt on the San Carlos. Let's see some pic's and the story on your New Mexico archery mule deer! Them's the rules ya know. :)

• Like 1