Sign in to follow this  
5nRamirez

Alaska salmon

Anybody ever make it up tothe keni river during the salmon run. It's always hit and miss on the fishing if your too early you got 3 fish limits and if your too late you can miss the run.

Are you talking about dip-netting at the mouth of the Kenai? There is a lot of controversy surrounding that and every year the regs and policing of it are getting stricter. Even the set netters on the Kenai Peninsula are having heck with the Alaska Fish and game opening and closing seasons. The last decent season for them was a few years ago and it has not been consistent for many years. The projection for this year isn't good. Depending on how long you have to go up there dictates your luck with hitting the runs. Mid to late July is usually when the bulk of the run seems to happen more consistently on the Kenai and it can go into August and on the flip it can start in late June and hit in early July. If you are wanting to fish the river just get ahold of some of the locals and/or some local guides, they will get you set-up. Good luck.

Yeah thanks for the extra info it will be my second trip up there last time we fished the keni at Soldotna and did very well. We also did some halibut fishing outta homer wasn't too great but did catch our limit although small it was a great trip.As for the run I heard the same early to mid July is typically the start or ending of the run ill be leaving July 16 hoping to catch it..

I have been up there and fished the Kenai river a couple of times. The last trip up they were running fine, but ther amount of people was insane. I decided that was my last trip on that river, there are so many places in the world you can fish without going into combat. The best trips I have had up there have been on small ocean charter boats or one time we did a fly out trip on a float plane. Good luck.

Yeah at first sight the people threw me off but after hooking a couple fish everything else was a blur. I did try to do some fly fishing on the Russian river and got ran out literally by a grizzly within minutes of getting our flys wet.i will try again this year with a .44 on my hip.

I know it's not an "Alaskan Salmon" trip- but the Great Lakes also offer some exciting action all spring and summer long on charter boats and then they run the tributaries every fall around mid-october... I grew up doing that and if you hit it right, you'll have tons of fresh Kings and some Coho along with Steelhead and big lake-run Browns.

I have fished Alaska 28 times and the Kenai was fun for the first few trips in the early 80's. Too many people and they can shut the river down at any time so you can lose your money. We fish fly-in areas like the Togiak or the Nushagak and have done quite a few trips to Sitka. Sitka is good for halibut, kings, silvers and lings so I like the trips there.