I just got my pictures back today from my game cam and out of 36 pictures only about 10 of them have any animals on them. Is there any way to prevent the misfiring or am I doing some thing wrong. This is the first time I have ever used one. Thanks

Guest JSR

That's typical when it gets really warm. Make sure you cam is attatched to a very sturdy object. Even a 10" diameter tree will sway in a monsoon storm. Get it on the biggest tree you can. Also make sure it is facing to the north if at all possible. For whatever reason, the sun angle will give you lots of falsies if your cam is pointed south or east.

buck11.jpg

I am not sure on your set-up but on my homebrew cams I use a motion sensor from a security light. In doing this, it is crucial to make sure it does not trip when there is motion beyond the lens capabilty. I just mask off the edges of the Fresnal lens and trim the wide angle sensitivity on the motion sensor.

I still have game trip the camera before the get in range but not as often as it did without the modification.

Most game cams have some sort of fresnal lens that you could likely do the same with.

Good luck!

I need to know what you are setting it on, is it a trail, a tank, a lick? I set up 3 cams over 4th of July weekend and got close to 200 photos all together, and only erased seven, five of those seven were at night and out of range for my flash, one was a squirrel, and only one was a false, may have been a bird.

GMM

Alright GMM,

What were those 200 pictures of? Any good bucks, lions, bobcats, bears, etc?

I'm setting it up on a tree right by a trail leading to a water hole. The area I'm setting it up does not have a lot of big trees to mount it too.

Treestandman, it was all elk, deer, and a squirrel. My dad got 65 pics of elk deer and one we cant tell if it is a small wolf or a well fed coyote, that was the only photo that didnt focus right. All of my our cams are home made, and they work good.

Destroyer, I have some tips

1) Try to set it north, north east, or north west, straight north is the best.

2) Set it about 2' to 4' off the ground, I personally like about 3'.

3) On trail, try to set it 10' - 15' off the trail, this gives you a wider view, and it is still in flash range. if you set it right against the trail, the area the sensor is sensing is very narrow, letting the animal go by before the cam goes off. If you have to put it right on the trail, point it up or down the trail, not across it, this will give the camera enough time to get the photo.

4) On a tank or salt lick, set it about the same way, but try to point it at the heaviest used area. Try to point it north, and keep it 10' - 15' from where you want the photos of. On water, try to keep the sensor from pointing directly at the water, sometimes the water reflecting can be enough heat to set it off.

5) clear a path- moving brush and trees will set off a cam, make sure there is nothing in front of the sensor.

6) Low batteries will cause falsing, make sure your batts are good.

I will try to get some photos to Amanda to post

Hope this helps

GMM

I got my pictures back after trying your suggestions and I got a sow with cubs some pigs and a lot of cows. I still had some pictures that were blank but I'm getting better. Thanks guys