Sign in to follow this  
AZHUNTER05

Fixed blade broadhead vs. mechanical

I dont like 2 blade broadheads. So i carry a 3 blade wac'em triton and a G5 T3 in my quiver. This is what i have doesnt mean its the best. Its just what I found for me is the best and what gives me the best oppertunity for me to kill something.

Lets do some penetration and durability tests...mechanicals vs fixed blades at these longer distances that everybody is worried about shooting...50 60 70 80...100 yards...most of the boadhead tests I can find are pointblank and 20 yards...it would be interesting...no doubt we can get them there...but how efficient are they once they get there?

JACK, a lot of that would depend on how heavy the arrow is. The most important thing to understand is if your going to shoot any kind of mechanical that opens out to 2 inches or better you HAVE to have a heavy arrow to push that wide cutting head through. Otherwise you will loose penetration. But yes, a 500 grain arrow or greater tipped with a mechanical head will blow through even elk at 100 yards.

GBA

Lets do some penetration and durability tests...mechanicals vs fixed blades at these longer distances that everybody is worried about shooting...50 60 70 80...100 yards...most of the boadhead tests I can find are pointblank and 20 yards...it would be interesting...no doubt we can get them there...but how efficient are they once they get there?

Killed my bull last year with a 125 grn swahacker on a 29" easton axis at a distance most would not shoot ( won't post to keep the thread on track) and the bull ran maybe 50 yds and piled up. Quartering away shot. 8 days earlyer watched my partner drop his bull where it stood @67 yds ( the reason I switched from slick tricks to swahackers in the middle of my elk hunt.)with the same broad head.

• Like 1