bmf1321

Any Duck hunters near Tucson?

Hi. I just went out duck hunting for the first time and was told by the G/F website that Picacho Reservoir was a good place to go that was kind of close to Tucson. When I got there I spent some time trying to find the reservoir only to find it all dried up. Just wanted to see if anyone on here had any good duck hunting tips for a beginner on bagging some ducks in the desert. Thanks.

Hi. I just went out duck hunting for the first time and was told by the G/F website that Picacho Reservoir was a good place to go that was kind of close to Tucson. When I got there I spent some time trying to find the reservoir only to find it all dried up. Just wanted to see if anyone on here had any good duck hunting tips for a beginner on bagging some ducks in the desert. Thanks.

Picacho Res has been dried up for a long time, thats old info. Try the cattle ponds you find out in the desert.

Stock ponds are a good idea but there are archery deer hunters under just about evey bush during Dec. and Jan. and they tend to think they own the place. Go puddle jumping but just be ready to get yelled at a few times. I've been looking on my scouting trips and haven't seen many yet. Ducks that is.

bmf:

Over the last several years it's been pretty dry around the Picachos. I had a pig hunt in 37A last spring, and I know the challenges one faces in this area. Not only has it been incredibly dry, but the roads going into the Picachos are rough (to say the least).

If you're even thinking of entering the Picacho area, 4x4 is a requirement. I know a guy who got stuck in a wash and it took him several hours to get himself out of it. The dirt and sand on the roads is so fine it's the consistency of flour.

As AZRDHD said, look for permanent water sources such as cattle tanks. You might want to look farther south in areas that received greater rainfall.

KP

We also puddle jump in NM or hunt the Gila River.. Most of it is spot and stalk.. it is pretty fun.. don't forget to take some waders and a long fishing net and fishing rod to hook your ducks once they are in the water..

j-

There are no ducks near Tucson because I killed them all :P !

7mal.jpg

tailgate.jpg

Seriously though, the duck hunting can be great when the birds show up and you scout them out and pattern them. If I were you I would check out the San Rafael Valley and San Pedro Valley and areas around Wilcox. Spot and stalk is ok, but decoying a roost pond or feeding area is 1,000,000 times funner. Good luck.

Bret M.

Thanks everyone. Ill definitely try out some of these spots. I tried to find some on the gila also this past weekend but am not sure what areas are open to hunting. I inow the gila runs through the indian res and price rd in florence seems like in might be incorporated so i dont want to risk getting a ticket/ losing my shotgun. I think I'll head to Willcox area next time. Seems like a fun challenge finding ducks in the desert. Thanks again.