Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

Fishing with my girl

My youngest daughter is 5. She's been with me since she was in my tummy hunting and fishing. In the past she had a preschool teacher who planted some anti-hunting thoughts into her head so her love isn't there like mine is so I decided it's time to get back to the basics.

Last week one day I had asked her do you want to go fishing today? Her answer was no. My response was well it's a nice day you can pick where we go but we are going fishing so I gave her the choice between the lake and the river. She asked lots of questions about both and decided on the river. I thought well the Salt is low, but we'll make the best of it.

I grab her two pink Barbie fishing poles, get some stuff together, and off we go. When we got worms at the store, she asked for a Barbie fishing net, which ended up being a very good investment.

So we find a somewhat secluded spot on the river and I'm trying to look for water holes deep enough to throw a worm into, but she kept leaning toward catching stuff with her net in the water so there we stayed. I tried moving us down the river a little a couple times so I could just get a pole in, but she was liking where we were. She says "just throw it out there" so I did (in about 6" of water) and there it sat. She ended up letting some of the worms go in the river and the rest got buried, which was great fun for her.

We had a great time just the two of us. I'll admit it was hard for me at first, but once I got into HER groove all was good.

In return, she was actually excited when I told her we were going fishing at the lake this weekend :)

• Like 6

I started hunting and fishing at that age and my idea of it then and now are drastically different.

here's another way to think of it, before you put your child in the MLB you must first sit in the ground, 3 feet away from them and gently roll the ball into their glove. then just go from there. :)

take her up to Alaska in mid July for halibut and salmon when she is 10 and she will be hooked (pun not intended)

That's what it's about right there!

I have a little nephew that's been talked to about hunting by his mother.

Needless to say, she doesn't shed it in the best of light. I hope to change that.

Have fun at the lake!

Ah, that is a cute story. My remember those days with my parents fishing the black river in the white mountains. Also we loved to fish big lake.