Sign in to follow this  
Pac8541

D-loop length

Probably a very basic question but how long should a D-loop be?

Mine is 3/4" just laying there and I just paid it some attention this afternoon while shooting. It occurred to me that although my anchor point is very consistent with the length the loop is at, perhaps I could lengthen my DL a half inch still get the same anchor point. With my wrist strap release tightened to the last hole and the connection between the wrist strap and release itself about as short as it can be, I still feel like I'm reaching a bit with my finger to get on the trigger. With hunting clothes on I don't see being able to tighten the strap this much which would further lengthen the reach.

Does the loop need to be any longer than having the ability to attach a release, and no more?

Should I consider shooting straight off the string?

photo2-6.jpg

Yeah, overthinking is what I do. It is not healthy.

Just something I happened to consider...

I wouldn't think that loop length would alter your ability to get a deep hook on the release. I would look to shorten the strap that attaches the head to the wrist strap release.

I have had long loops and shot loops, I use it as a tool to fine tune my anchor position consistently from one bow to another. Multiple bows with "27.5" draw length and not one of them hits it perfect. So i keep my anchor the same and alter loop length.

The benefits of a loop greatly outnumber the fps you'll gain from 3/4"

Hope this helps.

I did. Gonna need a new target soon :blink:

Moved the draw stop just a touch and shortened the release a bit too. Gonna get the bow to Terrell at AZ Custom Bowstrings this week.

I read an article by Randy Ulmer that suggested the d loop be as short as possible and NOT to use a nock stay (brass clip)....

I read an article by Randy Ulmer that suggested the d loop be as short as possible and NOT to use a nock stay (brass clip)....

Yeah, a tight bundle of serving thread instead of a brass nockset works wonders for creating a little down force to aid in keeping the arrow on the rest consistently and serves as a locator should you have to have to replace your loop.

What kind of bow are you shooting? My Prime had a big rubber grip that I took off to shoot it straight off the riser. It added about 1/4" of perceived draw length.

'06 Bowtech Allegiance. I replaced the grip shortly after getting it to a wood grip from Torqueless. Not even sure if they're still in business but its beautiful, narrow, and a vast improvement over the factory unit. Its very close to shooting without one so I think I'm good on the grip.

Below is the new loop. I think Terrel addressed what I was talking about.

photo1.jpg

Where you able to shorten your release? The best case would have you using the crease under your first knuckle from the hand to touch the trigger. This would allow you to relax your release hand at the shot.