Sign in to follow this  
IHunt2live

Trail Cameras

Ordered a new Stealth Cam, first one made a buzzing noice and waiting for a replacement, and I was wondering if you all had any tips. I have no experenice with them and don't know anyone who has so I'm starting blind. I know the obvious use them on trails or water wholes but are there any other helpful hints you all have?

Thanks

1. If you put it on a water hole that is even slightly accessible, expect it to be gone when you go back to retrieve it.

2. Point it down the trail, not perpendicular.

3. Use good batteries, not the cheap ones.

Play with it a bit before you put it in the field. Your backyard, or front door seems to work best IMO.

Make sure you secure it well, or else you will get plenty of pictures of birds in the tree above it.

Replace the batteries everytime you put it back out, no matter what.

Be sure to clear all branches away from it, as when the wind blows it may trip the camera.

Do a little scouting before putting it out. Don't just stick it on the first trail you find.

Make some attempt at hiding it, I have plenty of photos of people walking around tanks, but they must not have seen the camera.

Try to keep it set off the tank, or trail a little ways to help get better photos of entire animals and not noses, and tails.

Sometimes a little extra something above/near the cam will give you awsome photos, or it may get your cam mauled.

But mostly stick it out there! You will never get cool photos with it sitting on your desk. (I need to follow this rule myself! :ph34r: )

Play with it a bit before you put it in the field. Your backyard, or front door seems to work best IMO.

Make sure you secure it well, or else you will get plenty of pictures of birds in the tree above it.

Replace the batteries everytime you put it back out, no matter what.

Be sure to clear all branches away from it, as when the wind blows it may trip the camera.

Do a little scouting before putting it out. Don't just stick it on the first trail you find.

Make some attempt at hiding it, I have plenty of photos of people walking around tanks, but they must not have seen the camera.

Try to keep it set off the tank, or trail a little ways to help get better photos of entire animals and not noses, and tails.

Sometimes a little extra something above/near the cam will give you awsome photos, or it may get your cam mauled.

But mostly stick it out there! You will never get cool photos with it sitting on your desk. (I need to follow this rule myself! :ph34r: )