Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

gut check books. not for the timid....

54 years old and have been in deaths presence many times. human, tragic, death.

but three books-one newly read-give me nightmares beyond anything i have experienced with my eyes and ears.

many years ago as a teenager i read a true story from glacier. 'night of the grizzlies'. read it once 35 years ago and can still quote passages. terrifying-what that little girl from tucson went thru that incredible night.......

'death in yellowstone'. like being blindsided by a hummer doing 90mph. ugly through and through....

and now 'the devils teeth' about the farallons' white sharks. haven't slept well for 6 days. what the......?

i don't recommend any of them. unless your sense of self preservation is quite strong. i have had 20 foot white sharks 10 feet away and 10 foot makos close enough to reach out and touch as they took tuna off my line.

night, night, sleep tight,

lee

I own "Death in Yellowstone". I was eating breakfast in the park at Roosevelt Lodge after backpacking Slough Creek with my Dad. I picked the book up while waiting for the bill to come. I read the first story about the guy who jumped into the hot spring to save his dog and immediately bought the book. The description of his eyes turning white just like a cooked fish and the skin on his feet sloughing off when he tried to take off his shoes was unforgettable. I think the worst story was the one about the kids who ate the poisonous plants. It was enough to make you sick reading about how their parents tried to help them after it was too late.

Thanks for the post; just ordered the grizzly book after reading some reviews. As a school teacher I have to find some things to keep me busy during my upcoming 80 day weekend.