shortpants

DECEMBER SUCCESS!!

Here's a few pics from my latest adventure. I was hunting with Jim Ford, a good ol' farm boy from Iowa. He has taken many quality animals from Alaska to Africa. This was his first coues hunt ever. We saw lots of deer the first few days but nothing that would even break 80''. We had 6'' of snow the second morning which kept us at camp until after noon. On the fourth day we got out extra early and had to wait for enough light to start glassing. As night gave way to the morning sun the hillsides revieled many deer. We glassed all morning and saw 25 deer including 13 bucks! Still nothing we were looking for. I decided to take Jim to an old honey hole of mine where I've found mature bucks holding tight in the past. On the way there I decided to check one other spot. We walked only 150 yds. from the rhino and sat down holding our bino's with our elbows on our knees. After only a couple of minutes I heard Jim going ''psss'' so I pulled my head from my bino's to find a good buck standing not 40 yds. in front of us! The chase was on and we bumped this buck a couple more times before he went over a ridge and disappeared. :( We sat and pondered leaving the area but decided after how many deer we had looked at to find this buck we had better try and relocate him. We followed the same path the buck went over the ridge and it didn't take me long to find him standing under a tree across a very steep canyon. Jim said he wanted to take the buck even though he was not quite as good as he looked running away. The buck looked like 90'' buck on one side and a low 70's buck on the other. I had to go back to the rhino for my rangefinders, camera, tripods,etc. I returned a short while later and the buck had bedded down in plain view so I set up the video camera and bino's on the tripods and ranged the buck at 313 yds. I told Jim I was ready and he let one fly. Icould see the buck was hit as he jumped up. he went a few yds. and Jim put the finishing touch on his first coues buck! I got the first shot on film but as he moved he stepped off camera for the last shot.

It was a great hunt and a pleasure hunting with Jim. His buck taped out to 86'' gross.

01_04_2007_02_46_05PM.bmp

01_04_2007_02_50_55PM.bmp

01_04_2007_02_39_35PM.bmp

01_04_2007_02_53_36PM.bmp

Thats awesome! Great job guys!

Jason, good job on the hunt and taking good care of Mr. Ford. I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to have a guide with a hunter and not having to worry about how things are going with the hunt. Because whether your hunter gets to tag an animal or not, everyone knows that you gave that hunter 110%. Congratulations on a job well done and a nice buck as a bonus.

Thanks again

Jim

Right on Shorty! Great job and beautiful buck! I hope you guys whack one like that with your bows this weekend! JIM>

Great story and thanks for "taking us along" by sharing the story and pics :P :rolleyes: