Sign in to follow this  
macknnc

what is the status of the coyote?

In Az? Are they still varmints? furbears? Any protection at all? Here in NC they're in the 'shoot on sight' class in most counties...(They're 'protected' in some of the eastern counties but not really. Shooting coytoes is banned because those areas they are also trying to reintroduce the red wolf, which are totally protected, and the Fish and Wildlife folks aren't sure all would be able to tell the difference)

But I remember reading some O'Connor a while back and he writes how he used to hike in AZ, taking shots at targets of opportunity, jack and coyotes for the most part, to practice on. That, of course, was over 60 years ago. Any limits or season on the yodel dogs these days?

Season is pretty much year-round and recently expanded to include overnight for half the year. Most folks shoot on sight, and as Patrick mentions a lot of folks just leave them laying. I think this is one point of debate...leaving them lay or "doing something with them."

The regs list them under "predatory & fur-bearing mammals." Some folks treat them as a predator and others use or sell the pelts depending on season so treat them as fur-bearers.

kill them all then reload and kill the wolves, shoot straight and often.. reload again

I would at least drag it under a Bush out of site. Makes us look bad if you just leave a carcass laying out for anyone to stumble on.