Sign in to follow this  
muledeerarea33?

Teach me bout hot water!!

Been having issues with the water heater, (electric) drained if, turned the temp up and down, now it's tripping the reset button and the breaker sometimes. it's a whirlpool 50 gal, 5 years old. My first thought is the thermal coupler. But I'm not exactly sure how to check it without replacing it? I have electrical experience and equipment so please save the safety lesson, but should I be checking resistance, voltage drop, etc? I'm tryin not to buy a new one. If I have to though... Anyone have experience with the propane tankless units? I'm running 1 shower, 1washer, and a kitchen and bathroom sink. (Not much more than a 5th wheel I imagine?) thanks.

Electric water heaters don't have a thermocouple.Temp is sensed within the temp control panel(limiter) It could be the heater elements or the temperature control switch under the removable front panels.

Remove the front panel, and check the wiring connections on the temp control.If you have a multimeter check and see if the elements are getting power 120 volts per terminal. if there is power at the terminals of the heater elements you will have to drain the tank and remove the elements to visually inspect them. If they are unusually corroded with hard water buildup. or damaged, replace them. The elements could be tripping the thermal overload which can trip your breaker.

I don't care for on-demand tankless systems. The one s that are large enough to make it worthwhile are very expensive.

Have you checked the elements? Turn off power to the water heater, take the wires off of the element screws and check for continuity on each element.

A continuity check of the elements will tell you if you have a functional element. However if they have a heavy calcium/hardwater buildup on them, your elements have to work much harder to try and heat the water,which will cause thermal overload. Sometimes you can get away with pulling out the elements and scraping them if you don't want to replace them. I like the new double bend elements which have almost twice the surface area and are more efficient.

New themostat/limiters start around $30

Guest oneshot

Hehehe this is what I thought of when I saw your topic title... If your from France or the mid-east, there is an amazeing invention called "soap" and "hot water"... apply soap to body and rinse with hot water... daily please...

Otherwise, Sorry, I have no help MuleDeerArea33?...