Sign in to follow this  
Coues assassin

How to dispatch trapped animal?

There is a learning curve to trapping and if you can lessen it, you'll enjoy trapping a lot more. Some old school trappers want to see the new guys fight through the trail and error stages of cage trapping. I had an old timer who took me and a friend under his wing and taught us all the stuff the first season on cage trapping and we each caught a dozen or so cats by following simple steps.

When the time comes I can help you and promise you bobcats your first season if you follow simple procedures. If there are bobcats there you'll get them.

• Like 1

I love reading this stuff thanks guys. My grandfather and father used to trap for side $$$ and I have their old rusted traps (which I think are illegal now) and wicker baskets but have never got into it myself.

Do you check your traps daily?

(PS sorry for hijacking the thread with my own questions)

AZ regulations require a 'daily' check. Basically once each day you need to look at it to either release or dispatch any animal in it. You can check your trap through binoculars or actually walk up to the cage. Other states have 48, 36 and even 72 hour checks. In a cage trap you don't have to worry but a foothold is different. The longer the animal is left in a foothold trap exposed to other predators the higher your chances are of it either getting out because it gets put in a high stress situation and fights the trap or it gets eaten/killed by an animal higher up the food chain (including other people stealing your target animal). For this aspect (and many others) cage traps are ideal.

Here is a potential $300 pelt down the drain because a mountain lion found the bobcat caught in the trap and it couldn't get away. Lion ate the belly and chest out and all vital organs.

20131112_112521_zpsb7b7c48c.jpg

20131112_112530_zpsd2f4b561.jpg

Its a real hassle but checking your traps once a day is the humane thing to do.

I am fairly new to trapping and have never used a catch pole but am considering it this year. I just put a 22 short between the eyes. One of my biggest tips to a new trapper it to get out and learn the animals before the season. 90% of catching a bobcat is finding where the bobcat will be and placing the trap in front of him.

post-3397-0-21659700-1404199569_thumb.jpg

post-3397-0-18258600-1404199600_thumb.jpg

post-3397-0-95143600-1404199660_thumb.jpg

post-3397-0-75572500-1404199709_thumb.jpg

• Like 1