Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

the one percent

More and more of it will continue to close. Most of the bigger ranches around my part of the state are already closed or are difficult to access. Most of that was due in part to how their land was being treated by others i.e. abandonned vehicles, shot up stock tanks etc. Can't blame them really.

So now that there is a dollar value on access it will just get worse, giving them landowner tags wont change things either. So the regular guys will just keep getting pushed into smaller and smaller places with less and less access.

• Like 1

Guest oneshot

Ok, so it seems more of an access issue... and I would agree land-locking should not be allowed... but if someone has the means to own 1million or whatever acres, good on them...

We, a group of 10 guy's, control 800ac of a 1200ac piece of land through a lease agreement in NY on county owned land, roads surround the property, a local farmer plants corn, cuts alfalfa in the open fields for free where he used to have pay for the lease, we let a horse riding club cross the land during non deer hunting seasons, keep off the 4-wheelers and trespassers year round...

Were we popular when we took the land over??? Nope, because before it was open to everyone and there were alot of problems. When we took control, by being the highest bidder, we patroled and had people arrested, after warnings, for trespassing. Now 10years later, we have a waiting list of people that want to join into what we have built, a big slice of wild in the patch-work of 2-5ac lots with homes. This piece of heaven is 70miles from NYC...

This is land we grew up on, the land was bought from a couple of farmers by the county in the early 1970's for a water res that was never built. We stock the streams with catfish and brook trout, the beaver ponds with catfish and bass, improved the two streams that run through it by keeping log-jams cleared, re-hab'd an old apple/peach orchard, brush-hog some of the over-grown fields that arent planted, release pheasants/quail, try to keep the weed growers out...

We have sleigh-riding party's during the winter, 300-400 people will show-up, open to the public...3-d shoots with BBQ after also open to the public... cost to come... FREE...

All this costs us, in time, insurance and $$$$... but we feel we are good stewards of the land we love...

that all sounds great and good to improve on the land and i understand access can allow people to trash things but basically you have blocked access to the public, i cant head up there and go for a hike without being a tresspasser so its good for you and your group but not the public.

i just like seeing wide open wild places availible to go into and hunt or camp or whatever.

arizona is a great open land state for sure and there are plenty of open lands to go play on i agree, just figured if magaun ranch and babbit and a few others all get together with access plans with game and fish we will have a whole new fee to plan into even a one day scouting trip to grab a camera card or get some fresh air in the woods.

• Like 1

Guest oneshot

that all sounds great and good to improve on the land and i understand access can allow people to trash things but basically you have blocked access to the public, i cant head up there and go for a hike without being a tresspasser so its good for you and your group but not the public.

i just like seeing wide open wild places availible to go into and hunt or camp or whatever.

arizona is a great open land state for sure and there are plenty of open lands to go play on i agree, just figured if magaun ranch and babbit and a few others all get together with access plans with game and fish we will have a whole new fee to plan into even a one day scouting trip to grab a camera card or get some fresh air in the woods.

This NY Land was offered to the public for lease, with restictions, no wood cutting, open fields have to kept in crops, min. 1million insurance(we have 2million insurance, because of the snow-party's and 3-d shoot). there were 3bidders 10+ years ago for this piece... There are also 1000's of acres of Co. parks in the area with camping, hiking, fishing, golf, horse riding... with our giving the horse people permission they can ride a 40mile loop and only cross 3paved roads... Adirondacs are over 1million ac's, alot of regs up there and permits needed...

Arizona is totaly different, there is so much open federal land to explore... I get what your saying, and I agree that someone should not be able to land-lock federal/state land without there being access roads, paid for by the land owner...

Guest oneshot

I dont mean to say we are saints, hehehe we are far from that description, but not all people that have land are bad and we try to give back not only to the land, but to the town we live in...

I dont mean to say we are saints, hehehe we are far from that description, but not all people that have land are bad and we try to give back not only to the land, but to the town we live in...

i hunt some forest service land that's only accessible by going they private land. The man is nice and gives gate combos but if he didn't then he'd have a few million private (public) acres to him self. Good hunting but hard access. Even g&f private land coordinator is surprised the access we've obtained. There are no easements or public roads into this place.

there are little pcs like that all over arizona where you have to cross private to get to forest land and its good when the private owners work with the public. lets hope it stays that way and more and more land gets bought up and placed in trust to the states so all can enjoy.

heres to those who can have a small pc of heaven and are good stewards and also to those who have a million pcs of heaven may they both grow big deer and elk and let everyone able hunt and watch them for generations to come. or if they decide to put up gates and charge the may all those deer and elk jump their fences for public land.