Sign in to follow this  
Guest Justin Young

Hot Spots in Unit 36B

Guest Justin Young

I recently moved to Arizona and have heard about the whitetails here. I just was drawn for the End of October 36B hunt. :o What are some good techniques and areas to go in that unit. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

Guest Justin Young

I know that there are whitetails in that area. I talked with someone at work and they said that they have hunted in the wildlife refuge in that unit. they said that there are deer, but lots of hunters. Any suggestions? :)

Treestandman is pulling your leg :) , look up the unit on the Arizona Game and Fish website. You will get some good information. Also pick up Duwane Adam's book like Pigman said.

Arizona Griz.

Edited by Arizona Griz

Justin,

Your friend was absolutely right about the people, it seems like for every tag issued there are 4 or 5 people. In my experience the Buenos Aires refuge has even more people, probably because there are muley hunts running at the same time. I suggest that you take the 289 exit off of I-19 and take a drive through the area, it will eventually take you out to Arivaca. Take time to explore off of Summit Motorway, it gets hit pretty hard in the early hunts but have faith there are alot of deer in the area (even though it may not seem like it at times). I harvested a nice coues buck in there last Dec. My advice is to sit up high and glass much, when you tired of glassing.....glass some more! Let the other 999 tag holders in that unit do the work for you. Practice shooting distance, it may come in handy. Last year I was lucky, only a 328 yard shot.

Good luck on your hunt.

Guest Justin Young

Thanks for the info. These give me good starting points. I've also been hearing about places around Ruby. Has anyone tried around that area?

Justin

I'm amazed. I see so many posts asking "where" to hunt, when they should be asking HOW to hunt. This applies to all species, but especially to Coues deer.

The short answer is, get the best vantage point in the dark that you can, and glass your butt off! All of the southern units, and most of the northern units that offer whitetail tags have decent populations of deer. Rather than try and glom onto someone elses spot, go out and develope your own!

hey play nice now.

Be nice. :D You can read all over this forum for tips and methods to hunt, but if you just moved to the area, like myself, you have to learn general areas to hunt. There are books about coues hunting (see bookstore on home page)for tactics, but information about general areas to hunt, that is going to come from other hunters.

I rec. around the lake. there is a road on the west side of the lake that cuts off to the left . It takes you to some good bowls , I shot my first buck ther when I was 10. Also take a look around thumb butte it is also west of the lake. that hole area is pritty good. My bro took a buck that scored 114 . gas line roads before you get to the lake. calabassas canyon has produced some good bucks. keep an eye out on the cat claw thicket , I've seen bucks down in them while hunters walk right by them. like someone else said let the other 700? or so hunter do the work for you. hit the trail about 3:45 - 4:00 with a small flash light to a high glassing spot. sit tight and get ready to shoot. good luck silenthunter>>>--->

Welcome to the forum "coues". I like the way you think.

Mike