Sign in to follow this  
andrsn12

Big Bull Down!

+1 Pine Donkey on the hoping everyone in vehicle was OK. What does that say about all of us that made comments before you that were only talikng aboit the bull?! We are hopeless I'm afraid...

• Like 1

I can't find out about the driver. The bull is one of a herd of around 40 head plus or minus. They live right there in the river bottom which is in the Gila corridor which is otc however they rarely come out of that protection. They roam up and down the river up to Pima bridge or so. If the game and fish would allow archery, a guy might have a chance to get an elk there otherwise pretty impossible. I suspect they are short of feed on the south of the river so they are crossing hwy 70 which is the boundry and they are crossing south to alfalfa fields on the south. They also roam up on the McCuen ranch which borders the San Carlos Res. Nothing 'drives' them down. They have to cross that huge flat where the tribe's prize herd is. If a guy is lucky he can catch one on occasion.

I think the whole no hunting in the Gila river corridor is dumb. Almost all of it is private land and the landowners should be able to make the call

on being able to hunt the elk. A friend of mine in Pima says most of the cotton farmers dont like the elk. I agree hunlov, make it archery or crossbow only if there is worry about "safety".

Too bad that bull probably had some more antler growth too. Hope the driver had insurance and is ok!

Jeff

I have never heard why the corridor is closed?! Im not sure If safety is their reason. You can hunt other critters down there with a rifle....

I drove past Flag yesterday to scout and there were 3 dead elk all in the Kachina valley there, and another one a bit further south.... breaks my heart.