rugerman

Found this today

That is truly sad to see. I've heard of it, but personally never found them still alive.

Arizona Guide, that is one of the best stories I've heard in a long time, thanks! I'd love to see a pic if you have one of the buck or the rack (sorry if not since he was your father's old friend, I understand). Its always amazing to see and think of how a monster buck manages to get around with all that weight on one side of his head?

We did not even take many pictures back then. I will ask my Grandmother and see she always came out with the camera while we were skinning them in the barn.

Found a yearling bull calf stuck in a fence in Unit 1 in 1991. It was still alive and CochranJ's older brother and I got him out of the fence and stood him up but he was to weak to run off. I don't think he had been in the fence very long. We brought him water and he ate some apples but was dead the next day. I have pictures but that was before the digital age and never got them scanned. Some day I'll post them. Usually it's not the injuries that kill them it's the stress. Three years later I killed a six point bull about two hundred yards from that spot out of a tree stand on that same fence. Finding that calf was sad but really opened my eyes to fences in elk country.

We found a dead MD buck that impaled itself on a fence post at a water catchment. I'd been dead for a few days and the yotes got the innards and just began working on the hind end. You could tell it thrashed around a bit but that metal post went through and through from chest to out the top of the back. I figured it was at night and it bolted and jumped but landed at the wrong place at the wrong time. No camera at that time to take a picture.

cmc