Sign in to follow this  
Jeremyks

New Tripod question

Im looking for a new tripod. I would like to stay around 3.0lbs or less and be able to glass while standing. Also must have flip locks on legs not twist. Here are the two I have found.
Any other ones out there I should consider?

Swarovski CT Travel carbon fiber
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/712810-REG/Swarovski_49071_CT_Travel_Carbon_Fiber.html
or
Outdoorsman Tall tripod
http://outdoorsmans.com/product/outdoorsmans-tall-tripod/

Any reason you don't want twist locks? I always thought I would hate them and now that I have a tripod with them I love them. The Promaster XC325C with the Outdoorsmans pan head is 2.8lbs and goes up to about 65".

Manfrotto 190cxpro 3section carbon. It will last a lifetime!

Love the Manfrotto quick flips! I'll never twist again!

• Like 1

The Calumet 8145 is one of the best carbon tripods out there. Has load weight of 24 lbs, it has been rock solid for me. And like everyone else is saying with the twist locks you can set up to glass way faster an quieter. It makes a difference especially when you only have a few seconds to get a good look at a buck that's about to be out of site...The promasters aregreat tripod as well.

I think the Gitzo 1542, 1532, and 2542 are amazing. They are on sale at B&H Photo till Aug 31. Get the 2542 if you shoot off your tripod at all -or- the 1542 or 1532 for glassing with 15s. Make sure you only buy the mountaineer series and nothing with a "T" in the name. These are travel tripods that will not be as durable, since the objective is space saving. Pictures with bad reviews are these tripods or oxidized tripods from routine salt water exposure without cleaning.

I have used the Outdoorsman Tall Tripod and found it vibrated a little when using a 85mm spotting scope, even when tied off. Hade the same problem on windy days with a manfrotto 190xb. Think the carbon fiber tripods are much better at preventing vibration than aluminum. I think Outdoorsman could take over the business if they added a carbon fiber wrap or put some sort of vibration dampening system on their tripods.

The Swarovski tripod is a good second choice to the Gitzo. The Gitzo will hold 22lbs and weighs 0.2lbs less. You can really tie off to it to prevent any movement no matter the conditions. You can also add snow baskets to the Gitzo. I can glass at 60x standing with no vibration with the Gitzo 2542 without tying off to my pack most days.