Sign in to follow this  
Healy Arms

How Fat is Fat? The All American State of Denial and BMI

Can not agree more with Healy's post above.... I was well overweight and humping up and down the hills and keeping up pretty well with some of my skinnier friends... It took getting my butt kicked on a hill last November that made me do that hard long look and make the the changes I am to focus on my overall health.

• Like 2

Can not agree more with Healy's post above.... I was well overweight and humping up and down the hills and keeping up pretty well with some of my skinnier friends... It took getting my butt kicked on a hill last November that made me do that hard long look and make the the changes I am to focus on my overall health.

Exactly. I too was lying to myself - "I'm keeping up so I must be fine". And then there's the days that you actually out walk an out of shape skinny guy and you begin to really believe the voice in your head "yeah, I'm a little thick - but I'm in great shape"

Eventually the total BS and denial get tossed in your face on a elk hunt when you realize you're packing two heavy quarters out of the canyon - the one on the pack frame and the one from your double chin down to your fat butt that you don't get to take off when you get back to the truck. Then to top it off, one of your buddies drives the point home with a fond-memory photo from the trip. You see it and think "man... my brain doesn't see me that way. Am I really that fat?"

LOL

I examined my chin brisket in the mirror, had a quick & personal come to Jesus and the answer was "yes, walrus abs, you are". It was late November 2013 - a good & bad day all in one.

I will hunt AT LEAST 60lbs lighter this year, maybe 70, and I can't wait. Between the blubber loss and the year-long cardio I've been doing, it should be a great season.

Onward...

• Like 4

BMI is a joke if you have a big frame and or muscle. I am fat now but I used to be in good shape playing high school and college sports. My sophomore year of high school I was 6'3" and 250 lbs and ran a 6:33 minute mile yet I was "obese" by the scale. After I stopped playing college football I dropped from 295lbs to 255 lbs and was rock solid muscle to the point I almost thought about working on a 6 pack abs. Yet I was "obese". A college health professor actually made me stand up in class about this same time and used me as the example of why the BMI is a joke depending on build and muscle.

Right now in life I really am fat so I do need to start working on a health program again. I was getting in pretty good shape a few years ago with P90X but my training partner flaked out I had a kid so extra time has been harder to come by to do this kind of stuff.

If I was "optimal" in the BMI with my large frame I would look like I was starving to death at 180lbs.