coueswt

Sheds

I got Feb. 28th for the first Elk drop last year. So I'll wait til the first week of April for San Carlos. I keep a log book of where, when and how many bulls have dropped since 2001. The 28th of Feb. is the earliest I've seen a bull missing its headgear, but remember that this bull was huge SC bull, it seems that rez bulls tend to drop a lil earlier. ;)

I got Feb. 28th for the first Elk drop last year. So I'll wait til the first week of April for San Carlos. I keep a log book of where, when and how many bulls have dropped since 2001. The 28th of Feb. is the earliest I've seen a bull missing its headgear, but remember that this bull was huge SC bull, it seems that rez bulls tend to drop a lil earlier. ;)

I agreee that the BIG bulls start that early..... I think that there are way to many guys that get out and start bustin' brush, too soon and scattering the bulls all over.... :angry:.... need to wait a bit. Unless you are watching a bull and know that he has already dropped.... Might want to wait on diving into your favorite "Bone Hole"..... till closer to the end of March. :)

Hey rabidApache,

Sure would love to see pics of the first set of early Brownies you pick up!!! And the rest of the SC Monsters you pick up!!!! :)

Would yesterday be believable? A co-worker found a set in unit 27 on 2-12-07. It measured out at 383 when given a 40" spread. As far as when is it time to shed, I understand it has to do with testosterone and nutritional content in available food sources due to short daylight hours of late winter. When they both continue fall off and hit a low point the antlers are shed.

Hey coues N sheep,

I'll post them pics ASAP when I do find :) . I already heard over the grapevine tribal folks are out scattering the bulls and tearN up the roads from all this moisture :angry: Dang it man...rookies, but thats alright I've got my Bone Holes and a new slab of VIBRAM on my boots to wear out. Woohoo rackN time around the corner.

Thanks Guys,

Sounds like i need to wait another four weeks or so before i head for the high country in search for some horns, without a ATV(hopefully, everyone else does the same). Tired of the city and seeing ATV tracks where they souldn't be.

Not too bad for a day hike out! We even spotted a couple bulls with they're head gear on... B)

I figure this set was dropped a few days ago.I bet this bull lost about 20+inches in some battle royal over some snatch......I can't wait til this weekend.DW2-27-07.jpg

BaseElk22007.jpg

Nicely done rabidApache! :) It is good to see Brownies!!!! Good luck this weekend!

But look out, you just opened the flood gates!!!! :lol: Now everybody is goin' out this weekend!!! I finaly convinced my boy to spend all his time behind the glasses for the next couple of weeks.... I think. :D

I am going to try to stay out of the woods for atleast two more weeks.... hope I can make it...... :blink:

I have spring break from March 9 to March 18 and will be up north looking for sheds for at least 5 days.

Where up North????? :huh: I wanna be sure to beat you in there!!!! :lol: :P :lol:

Check these out :ph34r: . My buddy picked these nice sheds just today.

They're out there and don't think you covered an area entirely. My bro explained to me how he must have walked by one of these sheds twice just last year! Finally when it got sun bleached a year later he spy'd them points point'N skyward thru the grass. LOL

sheds2-28-07.jpg

sheds2-28-072.jpg

I have spring break from March 9 to March 18 and will be up north looking for sheds for at least 5 days.

Where up North????? :huh: I wanna be sure to beat you in there!!!! :lol: :P :lol:

Not sure yet but when I find out I will let everybody know where I will be camped incase anyone wants to swing by.

The earliest I've found sheds was Feb 28th also. It was in 05' after the best winter we've seen in a while, and I'm not sure if that had something to do with the early drops. Two antlers were 330" class and one was a four point. From past experience the best shed hunting will be around March 20th when most of the bigger six points will be on the ground. Around The first and second week of April is when the 250-300 class five and six points usually drop.

Not sure yet but when I find out I will let everybody know where I will be camped incase anyone wants to swing by.

Let me know where you will be and I will get out and hike around and call some dogs with you.