SEAZCoues

Tripod suggestions

I'm about to purchase a new tripod but I'm not sure what to go with. I added the outdoorsman tripod/head to my cart but 900 bucks seems steep. I just don't know if I'm willing to spend that kind of money. Any suggestions on tripod/head set up? I'm wanting it to be lightweight so I can pack in multiple miles with camping gear. Something affordable but worth the money. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I use a Gitzo 2542 Mountaineer Series 2 and this is the best tripod ever with a spotting scope or for a shooting rest with a Hog Saddle or Pig Saddle. I am currently using a Manfrotto 054 magnesium head. You can stand up and pan at 60x with no vibration. Problem is the price. Took a lot of weekends to pay this one off.

The Gitzo 1542 Mountaineer Series 1 with the 22 lbs load capacity is extremely nice and may be the best of both worlds. It weighs just 2.8 lbs. This is likely the best choice for 90% of serious hunters in AZ. Still quite pricey but will last a very long time.

The Slik 724 CF (in my case the 624 is too short for standing and is just extra tall for sitting) and Manfrotto CXPRO3 or CXPRO4 are also very good options. Some mild vibration does occur at high magnifications. The Slik is a decent copy of the Gitzo; only potential issue is the aluminum center column.

Just make sure to get a carbon fiber tripod that is cross weaved. You will get little to no vibration. I have never used an aluminum tripod that can even compete with the newer carbon fiber tripods. A $250 carbon fiber tripod will outperform a $800 aluminum tripod with the new techniques. A high end $700-800 carbon fiber tripod should only be handled if you have the funds because once you use one you cannot go back.

Also make sure to check the overall height of the tripod setup so that you can comfortable glass up and down hill with your optics. I like to stand so I can see over the brush and have always needed tall tripods.

Don't get too caught up in weights since most of the time you can make up for this in other areas. Better to carry an extra 0.5-1.5 lbs and not miss glassing something up.

High end glass on a bad tripod is going to cost extra in the long run. Stick with a Gitzo, Slik, or Manfrotto.

Hope this is helpful.

• Like 1

I have the Manfrotto MT294C3. I was hard pressed to allow myself to pay the $250 for a carbon fiber tripod. Now I wonder how I ever glassed before! Pretty light, but amazingly steady. Going from a $40 aluminum camera tripod to this is amazing.

I have two different heads. A Manfrotto 700RC2 panning head like normal tripods use, and a Manfrotto made Vortex branded pistol grip head. Both have their advantages. I like the panner better for glassing long hours, but the pistol grip better for quickly looking over large areas with the 10s. When I go out solo, I usually take the panner only. Both heads use the same base plates, and I have multiple base plates and tripod adapters that usually stay on the binos, scope, and camera. Makes quick changes really easy.

It is also nice to have two setups going if I am glassing a LOT of real estate and I am close to the truck. One with the 10s, and another with the 15s or spotting scope. My other tripod is a Primos Jim Shockey edition quick adjust aluminum with the detachable rifle cradle. Not the best, but sure is easy to get glassing fast with the 10s if something is spotted fairly close and on the move. And great that is quickly doubles as a rifle rest.

Decently lightweight and very sturdy, Slik Pro 724CF. Tried the 824 and to heavy. I run the outdoorsmans dual head on my and love it. Have gone through some very expensive tripods and heads to figure this combination out. The outdoorsman medium tripod wasn't the greatest at full height with binos and spotter on it very wobbly. At lower it was ok. So i gave to our 6 yr old. Kid loves to sit and glass.

Look right here on the site in the CWT store. The Promaster carbon tripod is really good for the money. I have it and I know of at least a few others that do also. Can't go wrong and you are supporting the site.