Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Wild Purslane

While out hiking to get in shape for hunting season, I have been seeing lots of a wild plant called purslane. My husband taught me this is edible and he loves to snack on it when we see some. I find it a little on the bitter side, but he loves it. Anyway, for those interested in harvesting and eating native plants, here is one that is growing like crazy this year. Once the rains stop for good, it will probably dry up quick, but right now it's doing very well.

I collected some the other day and have been adding it to our salads and smoothies. Supposed to be high in vitamins and surprisingly high in Omega 3 oils.

some pics

post-1-0-29076500-1411762792_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-93154800-1411762807_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-07376500-1411762872_thumb.jpg

Health benefits of Purslane
  • This wonderful green leafy vegetable is very low in calories (just 16 kcal/100g) and fats; nonetheless, it is rich in dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals.

• Fresh leaves contain surprisingly more omega-3 fatty acids (α-linolenic acid) than any other leafy vegetable plant. 100 grams of fresh purslane leaves provide about 350 mg of α-linolenic acid. Research studies show that consumption of foods rich in ω-3 fatty acids may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease, stroke, and help prevent the development of ADHD, autism, and other developmental differences in children.

• It is an excellent source of Vitamin A, (1320 IU/100 g, provides 44% of RDA) one of the highest among green leafy vegetables. Vitamin A is a known powerful natural antioxidant and is essential for vision. This vitamin is also required to maintain healthy mucus membranes and skin. Consumption of natural vegetables and fruits rich in vitamin A is known to help to protect from lung and oral cavity cancers.

• Purslane is also a rich source of vitamin C, and some B-complex vitamins like riboflavin, niacin, pyridoxine and carotenoids, as well as dietary minerals, such as iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, and manganese.

• Furthermore, present in purslane are two types of betalain alkaloid pigments, the reddish beta-cyaninsand the yellow beta-xanthins. Both pigment types are potent anti-oxidants and have been found to have anti-mutagenic properties in laboratory studies. [Proc. West. Pharmacol. Soc. 45: 101-103 (2002)].

• Like 3

Awesome thanks for sharing, I recently ordered 3 books on arizona wild edibles, every year we go archery during monsoon and see tons of edible mushrooms and green and onions so I am going to start using them in camp. Going for some pear fruits next weekend.