i got drawn for a rifle hunt in GMU 27 starting Nov 15th. Ben Brown from this site has been helping me with lots of good info about this unit but I wondered if anyone else on here might share their knowledge and experience about hunting Coues there. Just so you know, I'm 70 yrs old and usually do only MI hunts but have always wanted to bag a Coues. I have a friend who will accompany me on this hunt. I normally use an ATV to get into my hunting areas. I can walk but I can't hike long distances or handle real steep terrain. I'm not able to backpack into remote areas. I have practiced long distance shooting and bagged my first bull elk at 452 yds in the Gila and shot an antelope at 448. I'm retired military and feel confident out to 600 yds with my 7mm Remington Mag. I think I can shoot farther than that but haven't really tried it. I have a Swarovski spotting scope and also Zeiss range finding binos. I'm hoping to find somewhere I can access with an ATV and a short walk for glassing. Are there any nearby hotels where I can stay and use as a base to transport my ATV into hunting country? Are there Coues on the north end of this unit so we could stay in Lordsburg. I may have some more questions but that's it for now.

I believe he is referring to 27 in N.M. as this is the N.M. forum.

Access is tough in that unit and land owners can be bull-ish on public land. My advice is get a land status card for your GPS and know exactly where you are. If they give you guff report them to NMGFD.

Yes, since I posted in NM forum I assumed everyone would know I meant NM GMU 27. Yes, I had heard there were some access issues in that unit.

Okay, just to be clear: GMU 27 in New Mexico is in the bootheel region of New Mexico that is bordered by Mexico on the south and Arizona on the west.

Well I got drawn again for the mid-Nov rifle hunt in 2017. Anyone know about hunting around Cloverdale? Is it mostly private land?

Sent you a PM.

Sent you a PM.

Man I would love to get the same PM....I don't have a tag but hunted down south many years ago and am curious what the scoop is just for fun!!!

Good luck on your hunt Surefire........God forbidden country down there with some jewel animals in it......well....used to be I guess!!!