Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

.223 rem for coues

A 75gr Hornady BTHP leaving the muzzle at 2850 fps from a .223 worked just fine on this one when it connected on the other side of the canyon a couple years ago.

post-11266-0-96073400-1415384087_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I am going to work up some loads for a larger bullet for next year. My daughter is going to use the 223 for pig this year which will be perfect. I just don't feel good about the 55 gen. 85 grn out of the 243 makes me feel better. Thanks guys.

Barrel twist rate will be your limiting factor on how heavy you can go in the 223. Lots of slower twist older rifles out there designed to shoot the 55 gr stuff. I stick with the 75-77 gr pills for long pokes but I believe that 64 gr bonded Nosler would be a great little Coues round when properly guided through the pump station. Id be happy to get you a starting place on some heavier loads when you decide to try.

Ya mine is 1;9 twist so no prob there. I have some 70 something grn berger just have not played with them yet. Too many projects. I would love to do a 20 in barrel ar someday.

The one in the picture is a heavy 20" I built. Its a bit heavy to lug after the first couple miles but I still do it. I would recommend a mid weight 18" barrel.