Sign in to follow this  
el diablo

Polaris Ranger service question

I changed the oil in the main gearcase and the book calls for 34oz of fluid. I drained it from the drain plug and filled from the fill plug (simple right) but it would only take about 20oz of fluid if that before pouring out the fill hole. Now I wouldn't expect it to take exactly 34oz conciderin it's not completely drained but am concerned that it would only take 20oz or less. Full is full tho? Anyone else have this issue? Any input is appreciated.

Don't believe there's a filter on the main gear case. Just the oil filter for the engine oil. If not I did not. Did not see any call for it nor did the dealer when I bought the oils.

There shouldn't be a filter in the main gear case. Typically any bits, particles, or metal shavings will collect at the lowest point of the tank, right at the drain plug. Your situation seems odd to me. Mine takes a full 34 ounces.

I'll throw out a few things that come to mind which might cause this.

• Could you have the front and rear gear cases mixed up?
  • Did you measure how much fluid you drained out?
  • Is this the first time you have changed out the fluid and how much of the thick graphite anti-seize textured gunk was on the magnetic drain plug?
  • Was the ranger on a slant when you filled it?

If it were me, I would hate to waste the fluid I just put in by draining it and starting over. But the money for more fluid would be cheap in comparison to having to replace major parts due to a lack of fluid.