Sign in to follow this  
forepaw

Question for Eyeglass Wearers

Guys,

Like many of you, I am an optics bug and spend a fair amount of time behind binoculars and scopes. My question has to do with image quality when you are near-sighted and take your glasses off (to get better eye relief).

I can dial the distance part of my prescription (sphere or diopter) more or less exactly, using the bino adjustments. But I won't have any correction for astigmatism (axis and cyl., where the eyeball is not symmetrical front to back and side to side). Does anyone know how this will affect image quality on a neutral colored target possibly in poor light, say a whitetail deer at sunup or sundown at 700 yds.? Will it be less 3-dimensional, or just less sharp? It is a nuisance to take glasses on and off, so I generally just put up with the poor eye relief, or try to find binos with 20 mm or so eye relief which is ideal.

Thanks for any input, I know there is a ton of knowledge and experience among members on this forum, so I expect others may have had the same question.

forepaw

I have always had a bad problem getting binos to focus at long distances if I haven glasses off. The old swaro 15's and the Kaibabs didn't have enough adjustment to focus past about 1000yds with my glasses off. I finally quit taking my glasses off. 16-17mm of eye relief is enough for me with my glasses on. I have bad astigmatism as well.