Sign in to follow this  
Bandido243

State land

No he can't, he can put up fences though to keep his cattle in an area but cannot restrict access. Don't cut the fences just climb them

• Like 2

If his property is signed correctly with no trespassing signs and is the ONLY way to get to public lands, I do not see the legality of crossing his private land to get to public land unless there is a right of way to get through. I would be pissed if someone jumped my fence to pass through. No wonder ranchers are closing their fences to access.

If you really want to hunt public land beyond private land borders, go in advance, talk to the rancher, and offer a trade of labor for access rights. Get it in writing. Fix a couple fences, cleanup some private property. Respect goes both ways. You trespass on his land, he should kick your butt right out if not call the LEOs to remove/cite you.

• Like 1

Lance I think we are talking about leased public land not private property. I agree with you if his land is private and posted then you have no right to be there without permission.

My bad. If I would have actually READ the first post....

Sorry. I still feel private property is just that. Leased land is still public land. The rancher just leases gazing rights to that public land. Thanks for catching that Vowell.

• Like 1

Obivously crossing private land is a different thing. Private is private. But that's not the case here. There are parcells of private land within the state land. Access does not have to be through private land in this case.