Becker

Outdoorsmans pack

Who has one and what are your thoughts? Any pics carrying rifles and gear?

Who has one and what are your thoughts? Any pics carrying rifles and gear?

I've Been wanting to ask the same questions.

Devin,

I use one for my Kowas... It is Perfect for that... they have a particular pack layout that works great with my bigeyes, spotter, cameras, two tripods and chair...LOL... and a partridge in a pear tree.... If you talk to Cody Nelson, he can give you the info you need for their packs.

However... I am a J-107 dragonfly guy other wise...there is no better hunting pack IMHO...

Well I have had a dragonfly forever but dumped it for weight. Been running a Kelty that's light as a feather. But when I am hunting with big eyes, tripods, large 338 edge rifle it's just not cutting it. Off season the Kelty is great but when getting down a gritty for a couple days of hunting was thinking I should upgrade back up and was liking the features of the outdoorsmans for the couple days I might carry my rifle and all necessary gear.

It has a lot of LOUD squeaks and creaks when you are walking. This gets really annoying after about 10 minutes. Seems the noise is two inches from your ear. The zippers, zipper pulls, buckles and straps are not as rugged as the eberlestock. If you like to have a pack that has a lot of internal pockets for organizing and separating your gear, this is not for you.

It does carry a lot gear for the size of the pack. I like the way it carriers a rifle better than the scabbard that eberlestock uses. You can access your tripod, scope and binoc quickly because this stuff is carried in the exterior pockets.The frame is the best part of the pack, IMO. Light, but strong and flexible.

DB is right, they are a touch noisy. Other than that, I would give the pack an a+. Super comfortable and it's a true work horse. I had the Just One and also love that, but I sold it because I like the optics pack better. Also, you can sit down with the Outdoorsmans still on, while holding a rifle. The Eberlestock set up will not allow this while toting a rifle. I have the Eberlestock large side pouches on my hip belt, they attach very easily. One other plus is it will accept a 3 liter bladder where my Just one Eberlestock pack would only hold a 2 liter.

Becker,

Here are my thoughts on the pack, and some of it has already been mentioned above. The pack is a beast. Packed out a coues deer(quartered) 2 years ago with my 15's, tripod, spotting scope and gear with it, 16 mile round trip. I've hauled 80+lbs of sheds on 20 mile extravaganzas a few times lol. Had one trip where the waist belt and the weight were distributed funny where it was pinching a nerve or cutting off circulation, something to cripple me when I had the pack on. The material is pretty tough and can take a beating as long as you get the tan or multicam pattern. I like how the spotting scope and tripod have pockets for them. Also they sell a glassing pad that is pretty grippy and awesome for setting on the pack and shooting off of. And how the rifle carries is great plus where the glassing pad is stored it protects your rifle scope. The bad now, there's a pocket for your 15's that is the top pocket on the lid and only 15's can fit in it. I would like it to be a hair bigger so I could put some other small stuff(food, battieries, head lamp etc) in it being that access to other gear on the pack is horrible. On that thought everything else has to go in the main bag and after it's in there to get to it you have to undo every strap on the bag to open it back up.Also int the main pocket where all of your other gear is located they have a pouch for a bladder. I haven't had a happen yet but I worry about it ripping and soaking all my gear. There are two small pouches on each side that seriously can only fit pretty much nothing besides maybe your tag, it's ridiculous. I have bought some mystery ranch pouches to go on the pack that attach to the straps so I have access to more gear without having to undo everything. This has worked great in sense but has widened my pack a little to where my triceps bump them as I'm hiking and has started to annoy me lately..

Here's the link to thouse pouches: http://www.mysteryranch.com/hunting/hunting-pack-accessories/rip-zip-pocket

I've also purchased their belt pockets which have been nice as well.

I would like to try a mystery ranch crew cab a NICE frame and a day lid. I think that would be a better pack in most aspects besides the external frame of the outdoorsmans has and the the tripod and spotting scope tube pouches. Other than that I've read great reviews on the MR pack and it's lot more versatile and gear it more accessible Also I the kuiu pack interests me but the material I'm afraid won't hold up like the outdoorsmans or MR would. Hope this helps. I'm pondering selling my outdoorsmans in case you decide to go that route. Good luck and if you want some pics let me know.

Pretty much everything that has been said is spot on from my experience. I purchased my pack when they first came out years ago and have had no issues with the noise but have heard of some of the newer ones having this problem. I also have heard that a shot of Teflon dry lubricant spray has taken care of the noise. The only downside that I have found with my pack is that it is heavy empty. That being said it handles the weight better than any pack I have ever put on. I have carried some serious heavy loads for 10+ miles and never had an issue. I normally don't haul my rifle in the pack as I've found it just as easy and comfortable to hang the sling over the top post of the frame which still enables me to keep both hands free without fear of the rifle slipping. I have hauled my rifle in the pack as designed but just don't prefer to use it that way. The other benefit that I love is how easy it is to take the pack apart from the frame which I do every year and utilize the frame for shed hunts and also have used it for just a pack frame before as well. When I'm not hauling my spotter, big tripod, stool, and everything else I use an Eberlestock X2 to cut the weight but I've found this to be not very often.

post-216-0-18974000-1421180487_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-61964900-1421180547_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-14916000-1421180576_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-02515900-1421180675_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-00666500-1421180965_thumb.jpg

I just recently bought a used Outdoorsman pack, a few years old. I've only had it out twice so far. I've done maybe 6 miles total. Still working out the adjustments and other details. So far I really like it. I had a little trouble with the torso adjustments, but I think I'm getting it figured out. Sure it is 7 lbs empty, but it handles weight better than anything else I've tried (Kelty Cache Hauler, Eberle X2, fanny packs). The Kelty Cache Hauler is a great pack frame and handles weight well, but no pack bag. I've used the X2 for the past few years. It carries well as a day pack. I laced the Eberle rifle scabbard to the mole webbing, which works well for carrying the rifle. By the time you put your shed jackets in the main bag, there's no room for anything else, like meat.

In the Outdoorsman pack I have a 3 liter water bladder in the sleeve (there is also a sleeve on the frame for when you drop the bag). There is plenty of room in the two lid pockets, front-side pocket, and side pockets for all typical day pack gear and food. Tripod and trek pole in the long sleeve pockets. The only thing I had in the main bag was my sitting pad and a shed jacket, so it compressed down pretty flat. Total weight was 28 lbs...not counting the bow, which I carry in hand.

I plan on slinging the rifle over the top frame and using the Gunslinger Holster on the waist belt to secure the stock. ( http://www.gunslingercorral.com/ )This worked very well on my Kelty Cache Hauler ( Haven't tried it on the Outdoorsman yet. I wanted a pack I can do some backpacking with too....I think this will do it.

I was looking at this pack for extended trips. When my team elk just can't carry enough for 3 or more days.

I was thinking most of my backpacking stuffs would fit in the pod.

Any one use this pack to backpack?

Ive had mine for over a year and it had very few downsides. Ive carried out 5 whole coues deer with it, both in the pack and on my frame. The weight carries very well ONCE you get the waist belt fitted correctly. Ive also hiked with well over 100lbs in the pack in order to condition for certain hunts.

The bag also washes very well after being soaked in blood. Pockets are plentiful and in good places. I just wish that Outdoorsmans would make a pouch that can go on the waist belt like badlands and eberlestock packs have.

The MAIN ISSUE with this pack is that it carries weight so well, that you find yourself carrying excess weight that you can do just fine without. and if you buy this pack, i would also buy a rainfly as the packs are not completely waterproof.

I've taken this pack all over this state and mexcio, it has not let me (nor all my friends who has it) down yet.

To the people who have parts that squeak, if you take the bag off of the frame and adjust the buckle that supports the arm straps, it should go away, as it did with mine.

post-12189-0-34158500-1421188937_thumb.jpg

post-12189-0-04844000-1421189019_thumb.jpg

I have had mine for about a year now and I really like it. I have taken it on two wt hunts, a md hunt an elk hunt, turkey hunt, and a fishing trip. A lot my hunts are backpacking hunts and this pack is perfect for my needs. The accessory pod is a must in my opinion, (although overpriced for what it is). I can put my sleeping bag,pad, tent/shelter,and pillow in the pod.

I have not had any problems with noise on mine. It carries weight very comfortably compared to the badlands 4500 I had before.

The only complaint I can think of is the little clips that are used for attaching the pod are a pain in the butt to open and close when the pack is full.

It works well as a day pack too without the pod.

image_zps42a8a893.jpg

image_zps2cde28b9.jpg